forty four

NOTE: The real Princeton from Mindless Behavior went to prom earlier this year in May with his friend Justice Domingo who served as his date to the annual event. She stunned in a gorgeous dress described in this chapter and Jacob matches. There's a few captures from the picture section above or to the side from his real prom night (or day.) I used this photo for inspiration at the beginning of the book because I saw it exactly as I'd pictured Jacob for prom and Nadia's dress, too. Perfect! Anyway, enjoy! - Mocha

Nadia

. . .

Prom is eight hours away.

The school is buzzing with anticipation, loving dovey eyes and confetti.

Yes, confetti.

Some unknown school hider decided to go all out to ask Jennifer, one of the school's most brattiest cheerleaders, out to prom. She follows all of the high school cheerleader stereotypes: blonde hair, a bitch, and a little entourage of two other cheerleaders.

She said yes. We were all stunned out of our minds.

"Did you really expect Jennfier to say yes-"

"Hey, Perez is back!"

Walking alongside Jacob on his first day back (prom day, right?) we're suddenly bombarded by wards of the students coming to check on him. Emma touches his neck brace and almost cries, students ask him questions and a few students even ask me if we date.

"He's all mine." I simply respond to them, smiling triumphantly.

No hate, no jealousy, no ill wills toward me for dating him. Instead, Emma grabs my hand and we walked together to Spanish. I don't know why, but talking with her made me feel alive again, besides Jacob walking and talking...

... And giving advice again.

He always finds a way to make me smile..

. . .

'Home is where the heart is."

I keep murmuring that to myself, once again trying to move the waves of nervousness from my belly. I'm going to ruin Jacob's prom again like I did last time. I can feel it. I probably won't run off this time, because the heels I'm set to wear are six inches and will probably be hurting my feet by the time I want to leave, which will take a while.

Emma and Christina gitter excitedly in my room, arranging my makeup and smoothing my dress out all around me. Lucky for them, they got ready about an hour earlier in hopes of working together to get my outfit and things done together.

I never thought I would have any friends to graduate alongside, but the world is a place full of questions and you-never-know's. I could've easily slipped over high school, friend and spouseless and lived my life.

"Dee, come on! You're makeup!" Christina urged, pulling my arm and sitting me in front of the dresser mirror.

"Jacob is going to love you!" Emma beams. I scrunch my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Did he never love me?" I ask, putting on my best soap opera voice. They burst into a fit of laughter and Christina purses her lips together.

"Oh no dahling, not that way," she jokes in a British accent. What makes it funny is that last half of the sentence fell back into an American accent. She wisps a piece of hair behind my ear in one swift movement, scooting the makeup closer.

"What do you mean? He's neva loved you!" Nathan's voice bursts from behind me, and he too puts on his best fake New Jersey accent. He laughs menacingly and struts (yes, struts) to us, his mirrow view disappearing as he pops in front of me.