thirty

This story may go on as long as the comments do, so if you guys keep them coming, then the chapters will follow along! Thank you for everything, loves, honestly! I loved all your supposrt and soon I'll start following and dedicating chapters to the most active, dedicated readers and comenters. -Mo.

Nadia

. . .

Nathan isn't wrapped in wires like the mysterious woman I'd seen just minutes ago. Only the injection hand is noticable when we walk in, and I'm grateful for that. A boulder lifts from my shoulder invisibly and I sigh in relief, smiling. Knowing that he is okay makes me feel better.

At first, Nathan was all exposed and it was easy to tell he was embarassed more by the doctor's arrival than of Mom and I's. He wrapped a dark blanket around his bare legs, the thick knitted material shadowing them.

He laughs nervously and smiles sheepishly and I wave. Mom turns to the doctor and they engross in a boring coversation about Nathan's health. I know my brother well, though, and I know he's just fine. I walk up to my lonely brother, his grip on the remote growing tighter in eager.

"Hey sis." He mumbles, smiling. Nathan's room has an amazing view from his windows... at other important buildings surrouding the hospital, including a college, research center, and bank.

"High up here, huh?" Nathan's voice break my gaze from the somewhat fascinating view and he smiles slightly. He digs his head back deep into the pillow further, though he's as far buried in the overstuffed pillow than it allows.

"Yeah." I respond.

"It's kind of scary, you know, being on the two hundred and sixteenth floor of the hospital. Anything can happen." He exaggerates anything, but his voice trails off as he tosses the remote to his feet.

"Nathan, don't say that. Don't you dare think that way, okay? You're fine, nothing'll happen here." i assure him. He can't be thinking that way, but with the possblilities..

"Besides, you're not the highest up. Be positive about your room."

Wait. Did I just say that?

Me? Something.. optimistic? Jacob must be taking a heavier tole on me than I realize, but in a good way. The best way. Being a bright thinker feels good, but I've never been one. I had no reason to be, sick parents and an obnoxious but extremely lovable gay brother. But, I wasn't satisfied. I wasn't.. happy.

"It might happen, though, I'm just saying." He defends, smiling a little to top it off. But, seriously, I miss Chres.." He groans, squeezing his eyes shut. His face is wrinkled up just as the doctor walks out.

Replacing him is a tiny hand clinging to Mom's as she re-enters, Lucille at her side. She shoots her famous tooth-missing grin at me and waves.

"Did we get a little sister while I was out?" Nathan cocks an eyebrow, smiling a little bit. He gazes at Lucille and waves to her. She covers her face and waves bac sheepishly, noticably nervoous. "Oh my gosh, hey!" He smiles, waving at her. He flips some hair out of his face.

"Hey." I turn around, smelling Jacob before I can even see him. His strong, masculine scent fills my nose as I walks over to the opposite side of Nathan's bed where Jacob is.

"So, you're fine." Mom breaks the brief silence, shaking her head in playful shame of Nathan. She smirks, running her aged but still incredicbly smooth hand through Lucile's bright, wispy blonde hair. Lucille toys with a chicken nugget before plopping it in her mouth, chewing happily.