thirty nine

Nadia

. . .

On week passed by in a breeze. Dad eventually got the chance to get out of bed and walk. He stumbled a little, but Dr. Morgan said that was completely normal and that it's the first time he's been on his legs in almost a month so it's expected.

When I got some alone time with Dad, I took the chance to ask him what awakened him.

"You." He winked goofily and I couldn't help but hug my Dad with everything I had in me. I'd never smiled so wide, not even for Jacob. He told me that he was Captain Dad in his dream and that he'd heard my cry. Then that's where he knew it was time for him to wake up and settle some business.

I know that he was just messing with me and I laughed pretty hard. For once, it seems like the puzzle of my life is slowly piecing itself back together. Piece by piece, everything is slowly turning happy again in my life.

. . .

"Why don't we get something to eat, yeah?" Nathan inquires in a fake British accent. We all laugh, standing around a wheelchaired Dad, enjoying the light vibe. But, suddenly my mood shifts when I realize I have to study. If I'm going to be valedictorian, it wasn't going to be easy from getting off track at elast one month of studying.

I quickly dash up the stairs and into my room. I can feel the curious atmosphere from everyone downstairs gliding into my room and smacking me in the face. It dawns on me that I should probably go back down and explain my racing.

So I do.

With a sheer smile accompanid by my books being jottled in my hands next to my hip, I escalade down the stairs. As suspected, everyone's eyes are on me. This time, I don't feel under pressure or too nervous to run back to my room. I feel..

Confident.

Being valediction, I'm going to have to face my stage fright and ditch the antisocial ness I've held onto since the second grade. If I'm going to speak in front of all 250 people, the 150 stuents and their 100 parents, siblings, visitors and even more teachers, it's time for the nervousness to hit the road. There may even be college representatives there for all I know!

I smile in their curious faces and hold up my books. "Valedictorians have no time to waste around. I have to study!" Everyone starts laugihng, the humorous laugh at my little joke. Little do they know, I'm serious.

On the issue of wasting time, I throw up a quick wave to everyone and rapidly pass them, ambling toward the front door.

"Where are you going to study?" I feel Mom come up behind just as I twist the doorknob. I look down and release it, thinking. Beofre I can answer, though, Nathan cimes in. "And what are you going to eat?"

I wave him off and turn my attention back to Mom. "The library." I try not to let my nervous voice shake, and I don't undertsnad why I'm so nervous.

It's your first day acting confidence, Nadia. It's not all going to be perfect, so expect a little nervousness. Not too much, but a little. I remind myself, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. I quickly open them, smiling at Mom. Dad appears behind her, wheeling in, followed by Jacob and then the scratchy sound of Pip, the new name I gave me sweet little pug.

She passes everyone, jumping on my shins when she reaches me. I ignore her and nod once. "Yeah, the library."

"Were you mad, babygirl? What was that litle eye-closing thing about?" I hear the true concern in Dad's tone and smile, once again. My cheeks are starting to hurt now, but it's worth it, convincing them I'm not upset.

"No." I shake my head, adjusting the books on my hips. "I'm just practicing new ways to shake away this nervousness away. If I'm going to be speaking in front of one hundred or more people, I don't want to just chicken out and not do it. These nerves will be tackled!" I wink, giggling as Jacob pumps his fist in the air and nods like a school mascot.

"Yeah! That's the kind of talk I like to hear." He grins and chases after Pip who took off after realizing I was ignoring her. I laugh a little and turn to the door, twisting the nob again.

"Bye Mom, by Dad. And you too, Nathan! Love you guys. And I'll grab something to eat on the way back!" I part them, all in a nutshell. Before I close the door, I hear the synchronized goodbyes but unharmonized "Love you too's."

On the sidewark, the warm April air greets my face and wilts my hair back a little. I trot in my old converse, moving the books up to my inner arm and carry them there. The library isn't far away, but my stomach twists a little when I pass Jacob's slightly-peeling teal house.

Fortunate for him, they live approximately twenty feet away from a McDonald's. I reluctantly fight the urge to spend the moeny burning a hold in my pocket, easily passing up the fast food restaurant. Also fortunate for him, the McDonald's shares an avenue with the library.

Stepping into the double door of the cool building, I admire the chandelier hanging above inside the entrace. Another double doors later, I enter the magical world of books.

"Nadia!" Someone whispers loudly. I turn my attention to the light male.

Jaxton.

He smiles warmly, waving me over. I return the favor, walking towards him.

"What are you doing here in the library on this fine Saturday afternoon?" He jokes when I finally meet him. I luagh, avoiding being too loud and being shushed by the old woman whose glasses are sneered up in a book. She frowns all the time. Also, I can't be banned from here, as this is my new saving grace for a shot at valedictorian.

"I've got to study for valedictorian. I'm trying to work my way to the top." I explain, setting my books down on the light wooden table.

"Oh really?" He lifts his eyebrows in surprise and shock. I nod.

"Well, let me help you study, then." He offers, pulling my Chemistry ll book toward him. He opens it to a page stuffed with paperwork. I shrug, plopping dwon next to him.

"Alright."