twenty nine

Nadia

. . .

Day 2.

Even though we just met her yesterday, Jacob took Lucille to eat with Mom's spare emergency moeny. Unfortunately, they'd left right before they called us.

"Ceaser and Nathan Cretsfield?"

I jump up at the mention of our last name and so does Mom. After camping out over night, I have a horrible crook in my neck, but the pain can't take over the happiness, which does. I completely ignore it and together walk with Mom, who greets the doctor. She looks better than me anyway, her hair still smoothed down despite the awkward sleeping positons the night before.

"That's us. How is he? Nathan?"

I'm not sure how to feel when she mentions checking on Nathan first, but it's not a surprise, just.. weird.

The doctor nods and smiles, twisting his hand toward the direction of the inward part of the hospital. We follow him, trailing close behind. Lucille and her injured mother comes to mind as we pass by a woman with wispy blonde hair.

She's drowned in machines, from her face to her arms, which looks to be covered with bruises, blue and purple. You can't see if she's awake, but she's breathing, as the machine detects.

I can hear her slow heartbeat being monitored and the wind comes to mind.

".. Someone's last breath, and they're giving it to you.."

"Nadia!"

Mom's easy demanding voice interrupt my thoughts and I realized I was staring. My face turns a shade or red, and if anyone sees it, it'll turn deeper. I turn and see Mom's curious stare a few feet down the hallway.

A male nurse excuses himself and she moves over as he hauls an elder man in a uplifted hospital bed across the hall. The wheels make a rumbling sound as he passes me.

"Are you okay? You were staring at her pretty intently, it worried your poor old mommy," she smiles. We start following behind the curious glaring doctor and I nod, gulping.

"Fine. Completely fine." I lie. The image of Lucille's possible mom other looking that way scared me.

"Are you sure?" She presses. I nod again, a little harder to prove my point. I feel a stop in my tracks.

But, the image doesn't even bother to leave my mind. I must know who she is.

. . .

I might update again tonight but if I don't, you guys will hopefully get two on Tuesday, Nov. 4 (a.k.a. Election Day for some) and sorry the for the shortie again, hopefully this'll be the last time I make one, but I won't make the chappies extremely long and difficult to read. I've been procrastinating on this story, but it's honestly coming to an end. Unless, however, you all love it want as much Nadia and Jacob as you can get. Maybe.. -Mo