twenty six

Beware! This chapter is cute and intense, so be prepared to cry a little. Or die inside. Both are expected. -Mo

Nadia

. . .

I walk leisurely through Crowne Park, granted the spacious area mostly to myself today, except a dog walker and a lady on her cellphone. Her face keeps altering from pale to red, and her eyebrows, un-arched and bushy, keep rising and falling.

Sitting on the yellow-painted bench, I sit back and enjoy the weather, delicate wind with a touch of sunshine. I reminds me of Jacob's words from last night's phone call, or, what he calls "A Nadia Checkup."

"You have to look at everything in life a little differently, you know. Know everything's purpose." He preached. Oh, Jacob and his optimistic way of life.

"So, does that mean like, have a different way of life, or change your lifestyle, or..?"

"No, see everything differently. Take the wind for example. It isn't just simply wind. It's air, fresh air."

"Not if you live in the Dustbowl Area." I argued jokingly. He laughed on the other side of the phone, but through the bundled wires of busy phone lines, it sounded a bit sketchy. I ignored that, though.

"Well, excluding them, it's air. You can't just enjoy the breeze and be thankful without knowing it's purpose." He said. The fuzziness between us too faded a little. "Someone could be taking their last breath while you breathe it in."

"You're pount exactly?" I stare emotionlessly at the TV as my kick my feet over the edge of the bed carelessly.

"Be grateful for it. It's like, someone's last breath and they've given it to you."

I like the way Jacob thinks. He sees something different in everything, something I can't do. I see girl downed in layers of makeup who looks like a circus clown, but he sees through to her true natural bueaty. The girl behind the MAC liptick and Covergirl mascara and blush and all.

I can't.

But, he's teaching me how, and I've been taking notes. He's teaching me how to see the good in the worst, like he does others. I'll never be a true optimist, but I can at least be more grateful and happier about things.

Well, I can try.

Suddenly, my phone buzzes just as the sun hides behind a cloud. I slowly swipe over the answer button and after seeing "Mommay", I panic a little.

"Hey Mom." I say, waiting her reaction.

There's shuffling on the other side before I hear my Mom's voice. "Hey, you okay, Nadia? Everything okay?" Her voice is sweet and delicate, like when she wants something. It's a parent thing.

"Uh," I look around the mostly empty park and nod to myself. "Yeah, why?" After I respond, it's almost silent on the other side, except for a low groan. It sounds strained and deep like my Dad's.

"Mom, is everything okay?" I ask, panicking more.

"It's your dad." she groans on the other side.

"What about him?"

Beep!

"Mom!"

Oh no she- I glance at my screen and stare in shock, mouth agape. It flashes the red phone-shaped button to indicate that she hung up, and I can't believe she just-

"Keep your mouth open any longer and you'll catch enough flies for fly soup, I swear." The sound of Jacob's laughter doesn't phase me as I hurriedly stuff the book I was going to read in my bag and stuff my phone in the back pocket. I swing my bag over my left shoulder and pass him up.