Begin Again

Joong

"Hello...Mae".

"Baby.. isn't it almost morning already in Thailand?. Why are you still awake?".

"Sorry Mae, for calling so late too. Are you already asleep?"

"Almost, but it's all right, my baby can call Mae anytime".

I was video calling my mom. Although already in her 50's, mom always looked beautiful in my eyes. Whenever I had something that I wanted to talk about, or something that bothered me till I couldn't sleep, I would always have a chat with mom, my savior, my love, my everything. This was one of that time.

I gave her a smile, but mom being mom, could detect right away that it was not a happy one.

"Are you crying just now? Oiii, miss Mae that much huh?", my mom teased me. She already knew I missed her all the time, and also knew this wasn't the reason for the call now. Mae never pushed, never burden, she would wait for me to let it out in my own time.

"Hmm, I can't hide anything from you.. are you sure you are not a mind reader?"

"I don't need to be a mind reader, looking at your face alone Mae could tell".

"Mae...."

"Yes?"

"If ever I did any wrong, and already a long time had passed, will it be forgiven?"

"Hmm, are you talking about the cat that almost lost its' tail because you tied a ribbon too tight on it?"

"You knew?"

"Of course, who did you think got a scissors to cut it on time".

"I was too afraid when I couldn't untie it and ran to find dad first to help, but when we came back, there's no more ribbon. Dad thought I was purposely bugging him to play outside".

"Did you ever think to tell me first?"

"I was..but.."

"But why didn't you, I mean call Mae first for help?".

"Because I was afraid, afraid that you'd tell me off for doing stupid thing".

"And now, will you be afraid still, to admit it? To say sorry first? And to accept if you are told off? To be ready if you're not forgiven?".

"I really don't know Mae..."

"Luk, Mae is not there to cut the ribbon loose for you dear. Forgiveness... only the one who was wronged has the say to forgive or not. You could never know what's inside another's heart, unless you try to seek the answer first. And Mae is sure, this time the cat sure can talk back".

"Am I that obvious Mae?".

"No, I'm just too good of a mother that nothing passed by my eyes".

"I love you Mae..".

"Hmmm, love you too. Please be careful next time and rest well too".

"How do y...?"

"Mhee told me. I'm just too happy that you're okay. So, no, I'm not a mind reader, I just got a good spy on my side. Sweet dreams, my baby", with that, Mae cut off the line with a big smile.

I knew that P'Mhee would tell mom about my injury.

And about the other thing, in my eyes, she's a talented mind reader, whether she had a spy or not.

Nine

The sound of knocking woke me up from what little sleep I managed to get.

Is it morning already? Have I wake up too late? Oh no, work!

I looked at the clock, it's just 6.00am.

I opened the door half-asleep.

"I need to pee", Joong immediately said.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that.

I let him in to use the bathroom.

My eyes were already wide open after he finished.

"Thanks..", he said and wanted to go back downstairs.

"Wait...".

He turned and looked confused.

"I don't know how long you want to remain here. We'll talk about this later. But, the café is running in the day, so..."

"I understand, I'll make myself scarce and come back in the evening. I won't interfere with anything..". he said with a resigned sigh.

"No..no.. not that".

His eyebrows creased some more, "I'd told you, I won't go anywhere else. Try and drag me out if you want to", he said it curtly and almost walked away again.

Just say it Nai, why is it so hard!.

"Stay!".

"What?".

"Your bag, is it downstairs? Go and bring it here".

"No bag. Already in Bangkok".

"What?!".

"The crew mixed it up accidentally", he said that immediately.

Is he kidding or was that really the case? I massaged my forehead, felt liked having a big headache already in the morning.

"I can wear...yours?", he said it slowly with a smile.

"Joong, looked at us. You'd grown!".

"Really? I thought you said I am ten?". I knew he was teasing.

I gave him a murderous look, "Want another bite?".

"Sure, anytime. Anyway, your shirt, liked the one you are wearing now, that is quite loose..so it'll be okay".

"Why are you so happy about this?".

"Sorry, but I smell right now, this shirt was already worn for a day. Any fresh clothe will be fine", he said with a pout and puppy eyes.

Really? But you smell fine when you hold me a few hours ago.. Stop it Nai!

I resigned. The pity card, damn this puppy.

Whoever the crew that made that mistake, we need to talk. Was it really a mixed up?, Or, a well-made plan?

"Okayyyy. Search whatever fit you!", I said as I pointed to the locker.

The doubt I had was confirmed, when the puppy just had the biggest smirked and a naughty twinkled in his eyes.

Oiiiiiiitt, this kid!