Space

Joong

He didn't even allow me to stand beside the sink, shooing me away back to the sit and serving me a cup of hot milk, stating that it would help me to sleep better. So I waited until he finished cleaning.

"Thanks for the food, P'".

I was about to go back to the sofa, my tummy was full. Though my shoulder had an extra "injury", my heart was too happy.

"Joong...". It was the first time Nine called my name after we met.

My steps faltered. I turned and gave him a questioning look.

"Here... ermm, for your shoulder. The swollen part is tender....I realized that when I bit into it just now". The last part was said sheepishly, his cheeks were getting red.

An ice pack. He already cooked for me and now this.

I was happy, but at the same time blinking hard to stop the rising tears that I felt.

Do I deserve this? Even when I am the one who should've make an effort, why until now he's the one who keep giving?

"Hurry, take this, my hand is freezing".

I walked decidedly, my hand reaching out.

"Joong, what the h.....".

The ice pack fell to the floor. My hand was circling his back. I pulled him closer and tuck my head in the crook between his neck and shoulder.

"One minute, I won't do anything more...".

Nine

My body was stiff. I didn't know what to feel or how to react.

It was too sudden. This felt too foreign.

How long is a minute? My mind knew it was just a short time but somehow every second seemed to go by so slowly.

I could hear the unsteady breaths beside my ear, felt the warmth radiating from the body that enveloped me.

My heartbeat went crazy. He must be able to feel it too.

Joong kept his word, he really didn't do anything more other than holding me quitely.

He released me after a minute had passed, yet didn't dare to look up. He picked up the fallen ice pack, turned and just walked away.

I watched until he was out of my sight. The feeling of watching his back, leaving, made me realized something.

Emptiness.

I was used to be alone, yet the space that he filled up just a moment ago, now felt too hollow.