제 89 부

The red wine gargled at the bottom of the porcelain cup as Jung Ho poured another round of liquor for his tipsy daughter to guzzle. He crossed his arms and grimaced at the ghosted bride's fluster-red cheeks. "My sweet darling, in times like this, you don't need to act so strong, especially in front of me. I'll completely understand if you feel neglected, disappointed, or furious."

From a pile on the salver, Jin Ri picked three kimbaps and gobbled them. A few sticky rice grains scattered to her cheeks; some dropped on her lap, and seemingly, she was unfazed with her horrible look. "No, hmmp, fwathow..." not only was she eating a rice cake but also her slurry words.

"Won't you slow down." scolded Jung Ho.

Her stuffed cheeks turned blue from the non-stop chewing and swallowing like a beggar. Then another round of drink to push the food down her unslaked stomach. "Ahh! That was delicious." Smiling like an idiot, with eyes closed and mouth grinning wide open, she asked, "What is it, father?"

"I said, you can tell me everything that you feel right now."

The drunk woman struck her palm on the table and burst into a witchy guffaw. Her bloated tummy bobbed like a spring ball while on a slouching sitting position. All eyes would frown if they ever saw this woman as he deleted the word 'grace' from her vocabulary. Though it could be a natural response that an abandoned bride would drink all night and get wasted, this convention could simply not apply to the daughter of the next powerful man nether the Prince.

She raised her head and smirked. "Me? Hurt? Ha-ha! Why would I be? It is quite a loss because I thought I'd be the most powerful woman in the kingdom tonight, but, uh, with Sae Joo gone, things would be a lot easier for us—especially for you, father."

"Then why did you ask for a drink?"

"Why not?" she chuckled and reached for the bottle, but Jung Ho slapped her hands because she could touch the neck. "Aww!" She snorted and rolled her eyes. "That Prince and his bastard bodyguard could die, and I don't give a damn!"

"You've had enough, darling."

"Fine... but anyway, have you any news about Orabeoni? I am still disappointed that up until my supposed wedding day, he's still against it." She yawned and banged her head on the table.

The cocksure father assumed that the moment he was talking with her far-from-sober daughter, Jung Min was already busy spending the beautiful, cold night warming up with his new wife. His obedient, threatened son would never break their deal, and he had absolute certainty about that.

"Worry not about your brother. He has more important things to do than being present at your wedding. You do know him, he loves his duties and the people more than anyone else. He has all the qualities to lead a nation—only if he was a Seonggol or married to a Seonggol."

"But still!" The floor thumped in Jin Ri's childish stomping.

"Go to bed, dear."

Pouting her lips, Jin Ri rested her chin on her hand and leaned forward to her riled yet tender father. Her transformed full, round voice suggested that the streak of liquor on her head dissipated for a moment. "I wanted to ask you, father. You seem confident and unbothered about Sae Joo tricking all of you. Matter of fact, for the second time. Are you not surprised that he escaped? Have you known this all along?"

Jung Ho grabbed a cup and filled it with a different bottle of red wine. He took a few sips and wiped his lips. "I haven't known this all this time. Like everyone, I was surprised. But I did expect this..." He cleared his throat and smiled. "—so I have prepared something."