제 10 부

In the county of Manno, far northwest of Seorabeol, away from the buzzing merchants and irate shoppers, where the breeze was sweeter, and the grasses were taller and faster, two yellow group nangdos journeyed to a noble man's house for a special mission (coming from the King). Guarded by the foot of the mountain fairies and surrounding thick brick walls, a tiled-roof hanok bungalow of classic Silla design stood low in the middle of a garden filled with magnolias, daisies, and red or lilac dwarf shrubs—with fragrances bringing up the delight of an afternoon nap and a mother's lullaby.

Three purple nangdos on the tall, wooden arc gate. The yellow nangdos bowed. "We have a letter for the royal matron. This is from the King. Is she inside?"

"Yes, she is. We'll check on her."

One of the purple guards went in. He walked down the bermuda grass carpet, passing down five other colleagues standing like tall trees amongst the undergrowth. As he reached the base of the porch, he called. "My Lady, some palace hwarangs are outside. They said they have a letter for you from the King."

The mahogany door growled open and revealed an elderly royal matron. Her gray-dominant hair tucked in a jade hairpin. Indigo robe and aquamarine skirt gleaming brightly under the past-noon sun. She smiled, lines of age spreading elegantly on her round face. "Yes? A letter from the King you say."

"Yes, my lady."

"Why, yes. I will see them."

She tucked her slippers in and reached the gate. "Oh. It's been a while since I've seen a vibrant yellow color. Would you like to go inside for some drinks? Your journey must have been exhausting."

"We respectfully refuse, ma'am. We need to go back shortly. Thank you for your offer."

"As you say."

They gave the letter, wrapped in a red scroll with pink ribbons. The matron dropped her head in a low bow. "Thank you. Well, have a safe trip," the matron wished.

After the nangdos left, the curious lady scampered back to the house and sat on the floor, her arms leaning on a low-to-the-floor table. She opened the letter and read its short yet exhilarating message. Her face brightened as she almost jumped in joy. Right away, she hurried to a closed room and called, "Young Lord, are you awake?" her bright, orotund voice shrilling.

She heard stifle sounds of boots coming in. The door slid open, and there he was—the true owner of the house, a young boy in green, silky robe, standing as tall as the matron's chest (at maximum), his black shiny hair leveled highly in a topknot. A book on his right hand. Pale, round face and turbid, hazel eyes gazing flat at her.

"Yes, Lady Seo?" his undertone voice trying to soften more.

She crouched and waved the letter, lips curving upward in a big smile, "Young Lord, good news! It is a letter from the King. He asks you to go back to the palace and report to his chambers. This is it!"

"I don't see what's good about it." He turned around and tried to shut the door, but his servant held his cold, little hand.

"Lord Jung Min, you can come back to the palace."

"What for?"

"So that you could live your life the way it was before. Play, read books, make new memories like any other kid. Most especially, spend time with your family—your father and your new sister."

Jung Min dunked and shook his head. "That would never happen. My father doesn't want me. He blames me for all his misfortunes in life, including my mother's death. I don't even know what she looked like. Do you?"