제 74 부

As soon as Sae Joo landed his feet on the palace premises, he went straight to Jung Ho's chambers. Asking for an audience was quite new for the Prime Minister, but who was he to reject? The door slid open, revealing the man in his soft, silky nightgown. Jung Ho strolled towards the Prince and offered a seat.

While Shun was left outside, Sae Joo accepted the offer and started talking about his concern. "I am sorry, Prime Minister. Did I disturb you?"

"Not at all, Your Highness. I was just surprised that you visited me in my humble chambers, son-in-law."

The Prince glazed a mischievous stare at the Prime Minister and chuckled, "Son-in-law... Uncle, I truly wish to talk to you more but I'm sleepy so let's make this quick. I know that you want to sleep as well."

Jung Ho raised a brow, waiting for his nephew's concern. Would it be about the upcoming wedding? If not, perhaps, it would be about the mysterious gift sender. Both of those would be a problem if a childish tantrum stroke the Prince as if Cupid hit a soft, fragile, hopeless-romantic girl.

"I guess you already know what I've been up to the whole day. I came to the King, asked him about the baby wrapper, and I got nothing. Lord Dae Wong shut his mouth too—that wouldn't be a surprise. I even traveled six hours to see my grandfather, but I ended up having nothing but vague advice. No one from this family has told me a direct answer until I realized that I still have you." Sae Joo paused and took a deep breath before spilling his true question.

"I know that we have this life-long rift against each other. I don't trust you; you don't trust me. I have accepted that since then. But... I will still try to ask this to you. You're the only one who could help me right now."

"Uncle, who is Sae Yoo?"

Upon hearing the question that he had expected, Jung Ho stared at the beautiful Tang calligraphy hanging on his wall. He smirked like an idiot, reading the ancient proverb. In the midst of chaos, there is opportunity. A timely quote indeed. Everyone who knew the secret was going crazy about Sae Joo's hasty movements. The more he stepped forward, the more they took a big step backwards, all the way up to the edge of the cliff. Jung Ho knew that they would come to this point—that one day, Sae Joo will come to him on his own will to ask about his twin brother. Having the upper-hand on the entire situation made his dormant mind active again. This had to stop. Sae Joo had to stop. He began thinking of ways on how to exploit the weakness of everyone, on how he would handle the bomb properly, and when to detonate it. The main question—where? Right in front of Sae Joo's face? Right in the eyes of all the people in the palace? Ah! What a euphoric feeling for him, weighing all possibilities. The strings of the puppet play have returned to his dirty hands once again.

Jung Ho turned to his nephew and beamed, his eyes sparkling with joy. "Sae Yoo? Fine. I think it's time for you to know the truth. Anyway, what did Minister Yeol tell you about Sae Yoo's identity?"

"Well, err, it's just that... he didn't answer me. He swayed the topic smoothly, saying that I deserve to be happy and that I should not worry about the past anymore. Move forward and don't look back."

"Is that so?" Jung Ho crossed his arms. "Your grandfather has a point though. Sae Yoo was a huge part of this family's past. We never talked about him, but we have never forgotten about him."

"Family's past? What was he to this family? Where is he now?"

"Prince, you have too many questions. One at a time, please. Besides, I don't have the right to tell you the details. After all, it's between you and the King."

"But you said I deserve to know the truth," Sae Joo complained.

"Yes, but I didn't say I will tell you—exactly."