제 17 부

Dae Wong walked slowly close to Chil Yook. In response, Chil Yook looked ferociously to the minister, like a wild tiger trying to attack his opponent. He was furious by the fact that he was tricked, and no matter what he would do, it was the dead end already.

"Judging from your looks, I can notice that this is not what you have expected." Dae Wong sniggered.

"You are one of the biggest cowards I know!" Chil Yook roared.

The minister raised a brow. "What? Did my ears just deceive me? Are you telling me that I am a coward?"

"If there is a better description than the word 'coward', I will say it! You are deceiving the people of Silla!" Chil Yook glowered.

He continued, "You are afraid that once the people knew about the twins, they would rebel against the royal family."

Dae Wong's eyed widened. He bit his trembling lips, clenching his fit. It was not merely because of his anger towards Chil Yook's blasphemous words; it was also because of his denial regarding what he just heard. Was he right...? Perhaps, we are coward, yes, but I believe this cowardice will save the whole kingdom.

Anchoring his eyes to Chil Yook, he remembered his discussion with the King about their last plan.

~~•~~

"Sire, this is the last part of our plan. We need to make sure that the twins will be born safely. To do that, we must keep them away from the Prime Minister the most."

"Yes, you are right. Continue," Jae Joong nodded.

"The Prime Minister cannot move properly without his henchman, so the first thing to do is get rid of Chil Yook."

"What do you mean?"

"Sire, he must be kept away from the palace while the Queen delivers the twins. In this case, we need a decoy to pose as the Queen. We must make it appear that the Queen will give birth outside the palace. I will wait in the house near Daeya with some hwarangs. I know that Chil Yook will try to kill everyone and bring the twins to the palace. Everything is prepared, Sire."

~~•~~

"Surrender now, Chil Yook. You lost. You are arrested for killing all hwarangs outside without an acceptable reason. Here, I have an official order sealed by the King." the minister smirked, throwing a scroll at Chil Yook's feet.

"I will not surrender without a fight!"

The Grand Marshal slightly crouched his body backward, stepping his left foot forward. He held his sword with two hands and pulled it, leveling his head. The minister raised a brow and signaled one of the hwarangs at Chil Yook's back.

Chil Yook lifted his sword, striking the minister. "Yahh!"

Just as when Chil Yook was about to hit Dae Wong, he froze and his eyes widened. He suddenly felt a cold, tingling sensation in his whole body. He put his hand on the back of his neck, grimacing in pain. With slow, moderated breaths, he turned his head around slowly, and he saw a hwarang holding a blowdart near his mouth. The Grand Marshal smirked, as he felt a bit groggy. His sword dropped, clanking on the wooden floor, and his paper body followed.

~~•~~

Meanwhile, in the palace, nurses rushed to the Queen's birthing chamber in her pavilion, carrying trays of different equipment and herbal medicines. They were seen to be wearing a full white robe and skirts with white cloths covering their noses and mouths for sanitary purposes. When they entered the birthing chamber, they stayed on the corners, waiting for any instructions. Lying on the bed, the distressed Queen wore a simple white robe, her hair undone and her hands and arms wrapped upward in a hanging white cloth in the ceiling. In addition, a yellow silk cloth covered her upper body down to the lower body, which served as a tunnel to her birth canal. With beads of sweats coming out from her whole body due to labor pains and controlled yelps, Dong Hee called two nurses to assist the Queen's head, and they stuffed a white cloth in her mouth.