제 12 부

No kingdom on earth had ever recorded a ceremony, no matter how sacred and important, that garnered a hundred percent attendance from the public. The differences in the mindset and level of faith were evident with Silla's people. Two opposing forces repelled at the two ends of the rainbow. Blind devotion and lenient acceptance. While a huge portion of the majority chose to relish in the grandiose of the palace, hoping to catch an ounce of blessings from the King's prediction, some people, living on the runs of the ragged skirt of hierarchy, either opted to stay in their homes or continued their daily jobs.

As the blue royal palanquin of the Prime Minister's son passed by the capital market, Lady Seo opened the windows to get some fresh air. The once noisy and crowded cradle of trade and industry became a cold desert. A few stalls continued their operations, hoping for chance customers.

The carriage paused, and Lady Seo asked a random seller on the sidewalk, who was busy folding and sorting his colored silk fabrics.

"Excuse me, Ahjussi, why is the market silent? Where are the people?"

"Ahjumeoni, which part of Silla do you live in? Were you not informed? It's the day the King pronounces the mandate of Heavens. A lot of people went to the palace to witness it."

Her face turned crimson in a slice of embarrassment, "I see... But why are you here? Aren't you curious about it?"

"I am not interested. I would rather stay here and test my luck. It has no point. The news would spread anyway. Those people just went there for the food and some gaily talk. I am not into chit-chats—waste of time. Besides, after that event, people would go here and buy decorations for their homes. I have to stay alert before my competitors take advantage of me."

Realizing the seller's sentiments, Lady Seo chuckled and discreetly requested their hwarang escorts to proceed. In reality, the common class had the most unsurpassable enthusiasm about Heaven's judgment. Their daily lives for the succeeding thirty-three years would depend on it. It would dictate the whole basic questions in every aspect of their living. Planting, harvesting, marriage, or even childbirth. They were chained and obligated to follow the rules for them to survive. On top of that, the ceremony per se would give them a chance to get even a teaspoon of free high-class food from the palace, which they could not afford. However, for the nobility, this was one of the perfect times to socialize and talk about political issues, alliances, and more. Whether the Heavens decided to doom or bless the kingdom, they could easily brush their fingers off, for they knew they could survive even the most devastating disaster. They could rise from the ashes and start over again easily.

Lady Seo shook her head to get those thoughts out of her head. She closed the window and talked to her master, whose mind was occupied reading a war book. "Young Lord, we're only a few steps away from the palace. Aren't you excited?"

Jung Min did not respond; his face was as long as the tracks they had traveled.

"Are you nervous?"

The boy glanced and nodded, biting his lips. The matron held his hands and delivered a heartwarming smile. "I'm here, Young Lord. I'll never leave you. Now smile for me, will you?"

With a dazzled face and a peaceful heart, his tiny red lips curled up, which lightened the matron's day. Her definition of success.

"There you go... You are ready."

~~•~~

Compared to the austere image the little boy had painted, it was no match with the cheers, and the hurrahs of the loud tweeting flight of the palace. When they heard the King's pronouncement—"I declare that the solar eclipse would not occur for the first time in its thirty-three year cycle..."