제 31 부

Jung Min stood and asked, curious about his sister's unexpected entrance. "Jin Ri, what is this?"

The young lady crossed her arms and sneered at her older brother. "Orabeoni, you have nothing to do with this. I will do my job, and I guess you should do yours," she smirked before turning around, clinging to her father's arms.

"What an arrogant girl!"

Jung Ho chided, "Stop it! I told you already before. Your dongsaeng is doing her task properly. You are ten years older; you should be the one who is helping me more. Tsk tsk! Just go back to your room. We will just go out of the palace for a while."

The indignant son scoffed. "Fine."

Before they could leave, Jin Ri turned her head left and threw a sideward glare to her brother. She looked back to her father and asked him to get out of the room. "Shall we go, Father?"

"Yes, let us go."

The two left without saying any formal goodbye. For years, Jung Min had already known that Jin Ri always had a special place in their father's heart. Somehow, he actually had accepted the bitter fact, for he promised himself not to beg for Jung Ho's attention years ago. He actually did not care if Jin Ri would get all of the Prime Minister's favor. It was his ego that was always punctured, which made him hate his sister more and more.

You will see. One day, you will need my help. When that day comes, I will walk away and laugh as I see you all suffer.

~~•~~

The Prime Minister's palanquin journeyed outside the palace, with some hwarang escorts holding torches, enlightening the eerie-black path of the deciduous, pine tree forest. An hour had passed, and the carriage stopped beside a dry, rocky stream.

"We are here, Father. Shall we get off?"

Jung Ho smiled, and they went down the palanquin. They walked down the dark, stony trail and were welcomed by four men wearing black robes and pants—faces covered. Behind them was a small wooden palanquin guarded with men in black as well.

The Prime Minister asked, "Where is your master?"

Before the man could answer, a tall, robust man with the same clothes as his guards came out from the small palanquin. The four guards cleared the way as he walked to the Prime Minister and dipped his head in a low bow. "Prime Minister Jung Ho, it has been quite a while. Fifteen years was not even shown in your face."

Jung Ho smiled, "Well, I would take that as a compliment. Yes. It has been fifteen since you have failed in that one mission that I had ordered."

"It was a humble mistake, Prime Minister. As the leader of this rebel group, I apologize for my men's incompetence way back then. However, I assure you that it will not happen again."

Jin Ri stepped forward and asked, "Father, what is that task that you have given to them fifteen years ago?"

"Hmm, just a tiny little thing. You do not need to know it, my darling. Do you not agree?"

The young lady just bowed her head and stepped back. "Yes, Father. I apologize."

With an awkward stare, the bandit leader cleared his throat and interfered. "Your Excellency, what is it this time? I must say that your daughter was really smart and keen for she had found a way to talk to us."

"What do you expect? She has my blood after all. Anyway, if you would be successful, both of us would benefit accordingly. Shall we talk about the details inside my palanquin?"