제 46 부

A combination of bitter awkwardness emanated into the thick, humid summer air as Shun had a short glance with the three noble people: one who persecuted him, the other one who confronted him... and lastly, the one whom he did not really know. The young boy shot a quick smile and bowed his head, trying to distance away from the three devils.

"Such a rush, I guess," Jin Ri teased.

Shun turned his head to the right, giving her a sideward confirmation. The Prime Minister and his family strolled again the courtyard, and Shun followed the other boys going to the main training ground. Upon reaching the tall brown wooden gate as sturdy as the fortress, two indigo group hwarangs asked him his registration form. Shun handed the paper to them, and guards let him in.

The hefty walls enclosing the entire wide space, the aesthetic and wide dais at the far end, and the robust hwarangs and guards on the sides, either acting as alert sentinels or practicing their fighting stunts saluted Shun. Impressed. Awed. Astonished.

People continued to fill almost every space of the center grounds. As Shun joined at the crowding young boys, finding himself a perfect, comfortable spot, he heard a eunuch announcement. "His Majesty graces us all!"

"Clear the way!"

The young boys cleared the ground; the vast lake of people slowly separated into two groups. All people genuflected and bowed their heads down. The King paraded down, alongside with Sae Joo, the Prime Minister, and his family, some members of the council, and a few high-ranking hwarang officials. The royal family went up to the dais, while the hwarangs continued marching down to the two sides: left and right.

Jae Joong faced the swarm of young spirits before him. "You may now stand."

All people raised their heads and stood, going back to their positions. The gates closed, formally ending the registration of aspiring applicants. Jae Joong announced, "Hear my words. Today marks a special moment for all hwarangs. Young boys, young spirits, a new force to one of the kingdom's most valued pillar. I wish all of you good luck and may the Heavens guide you on your journey."

Jae Joong walked down from the dais and left the training ground. Dae Wong then stood from his seat and announced, "As of this day, I would like to extend my words of congratulations for each and everyone. All of you are all members of the hwarangs already."

Mixed emotions sprinkled on the crowd. Some smiled, corners of their lips almost kissed their ears, others were confused, and some of them showed skeptical countenances. The young minister continued, "However, not all of you will be assigned in the palace. Only ten people from each of the provinces will be added to the palace hwarangs. The rest will return to your provinces, and you will work as provincial hwarangs. The process and training will be tedious. All of you should be prepared wholeheartedly."

He started pacing the dais as he continued speaking, "For this day, we are going to test your physical and mental acumen—see who among of you are fit to become a palace hwarang. But before anything else, I would like to give the floor to the new head of the hwarangs—Crown Prince Sae Joo." he walked to the right, picked a yellow flag with detailed designs, and handed it regally to the Prince.

Sae Joo cast a quick, tense stare at Dae Wong before he stood and accepted the flag. He walked in front of the dais and cleared his throat, scanning the awaiting faces of the audience. "I... am Silla's Crown Prince, Sae Joo. As... your... leader, I want you to know that being a hwarang is not just a high privilege. It is a big responsibility, not just for..." his eyes moved upward a bit, trying to remember a part from his memorized speech.

He resumed, "... yourself, for your family, but above all, for the kingdom. I want you to give your all—your best starting from today. I wish you all good luck."