제 48 부

The fire orange ray of the sun transcended into the dusk skies as the time of the day almost reached its bitter end. The controversial screening of applicants had come into an end, and all of them reunited into the Hwarang Training Ground once again. Gathering at the spacious grounds, the applicants lent their ears to the upcoming announcement.

Sae Joo stood from the dais and unrolled a piece of scroll. "Hwarangs, hear me. I have a result. Written in this paper are the names of the applicants that will be official palace hwarangs. If your name is called, go to your respective hwarangdo on the sides of this training ground. Let us start with the province of Jeonju."

The Crown Prince called the names of those people who made it successfully. Shun did not expect that he would be chosen, given that their team did not finish their tasks on time. However, he was hoping. He crossed the thin barrier between expectations and hope.

After about fifteen minutes, their province was called. He uttered silent prayers while listening attentively to the Prince's announcement.

"... Sangju Province - Jin Gook, Sun Yeol, and last one, Shun. Next province: Myeongju..."

Shun's head floated into the air after hearing his name. Guess his prayers rocketed quickly into the Heavens, and their response bounced back to earth in just a wink of an eye. Quietly, he thanked the deities and vowed that he would do his best for his father and for the kingdom.

After all names were announced, drum rolls echoed across the palace, formally welcoming all the new palace hwarangs. Those people who were not mentioned gathered in one area got down on their knees and waited for the Prince's blessing. Sae Joo descended from the dais, and together with fourteen provincial hwarangdos, carrying provincial flags, he formally honored them as provincial hwarangs.

Sae Joo stretched both of his arms in front of them. "You are now official members of the provincial hwarangs. Even though you did not make it become a palace hwarang, your contribution still matters. Training and personality development will help you become more competent. I am giving you my blessing. May the Heavens guide you on your journey."

The boys answered in unison. "You honor us, Wangja-nim!"

Their respective hwarangdos called, "Formation!" the new provincial hwarangs stood erect and marched out of the training ground to report to their respective provinces—ready to face the new challenges and more intense training.

When the provincial hwarangs had exited, the new palace hwarangs gathered at the center, together with their respective palace hwarangdos. Sae Joo went back to the dais, and together with Dae Wong, they welcomed the new addition to the palace military.

"Now that you belong to the palace, we will arrange you based on clans, not based on your province. So let us start with the Red Dragons," Sae Joo declared.

Another tedious set of organizing began, and in the end, Shun was assigned with the Yellow Tigers—the same hwarang clan where Sae Joo had been doing his training. After all of the new palace hwarangs were arranged, they assembled with their respective hwarangdo clans and got down on their knees. Just like what Sae Joo did with the provincial hwarangs, he gave them his blessings and spoke, "Being a hwarang is not just about your pride in wearing fancy uniforms. Being a palace hwarang does not mean that you are already great. Your name and position come with hard training, full of blood and sweat. At the end of the day, always remember your goal—and that is to serve and protect Silla. May the Heavens bless each and every one of you."

"You honor each and everyone of us, Wangja-nim," the newbie palace hwarangs answered in unison.

All of them stood and cheered, "Hwarang, Mansae! Sae Joo-Wangja, Mansae! Seorabeol, Mansae!" they chanted those words on repeat, their manly voices resonated through every wall of the training ground.