제 39 부

Dae Wong's heart skipped a thousand beat in shock. All hell broke loose when he heard about the former Grand Marshal's confession. His thoughts crumbled into pieces, making it hard for him to get all his senses back.

"Wh-what did you say? Shun is Sae Yoo?"

"You heard me right. He is Prince Sae Joo's twin brother, royal blood—a Seonggol."

The minister could not understand everything that he heard. The whole gist of Chil Yook's statement was as blurry as misty dawn in the winter. For the past fifteen years, he believed that the Prince had died when the Prime Minister had fallen in that cliff. However, it turned out that another version of the story just emerged.

"This does not make sense. Prince Sae Yoo is dead!"

Chil Yook closed his eyes and shook his head. "No, he is not. When I woke up after that deadly ambush, I discovered that it was indeed the Prime Minister who was behind everything. Yes, you are right. He was the one who ordered those bandits to attack us, but his reason was for my safety. Little did I know that he had a different plan. I was shocked as well when I found out that the Prince was with him. I have no idea what happened in that cliff that you just said. All I knew was that baby Sae Yoo was with him. He handed me the baby, telling me that I should take care of him for a while, away from the capital. He even arranged me a trip to Ulleung Island—to hide there, to raise the baby according to his principles, brainwash him. By the time the Prince is fifteen, he will come back and take him... to use him against the King and Prince Sae Joo."

Dae Wong's first rolled into a ball, gritting his teeth. "Jung Ho! You are really despicable!"

"He really is. He is too powerful. His works were always clean and stainless. He has many connections. He could do almost anything because the nobles and other high-ranking government official support him."

Crossing his arms, Dae Wong asked, "Why did you decide not to follow his order?"

A heavy load of a deep-sea exhale surfaced out from the ill man's lips. "It was because of Lady Jang. She was the one who convinced me to do the right thing, not to be blinded by the Prime Minister. I was thunderstruck by her words, and also by Prince Sae Yoo's angelic face." he smiled, reminiscing his borrowed son's innocent smile when he was an infant.

"You did the right thing, Chil Yook. Thank you."

"So, what are you going to do now?" asked the old man.

"You are aware of the prophecy, are you not? The twins were born on the same day as the eclipse. Their fates have already been cursed by the Heavens, and they should never ever cross paths. One of them will be Silla's destroyer, and one of them will be Silla's savior. There is no way to tell for now who is who, but since they had already met, I am certain that their inevitable fate will happen," explained Dae Wong.

"I know that. So, what are we going to do?"

"No one should ever know Shun's real identity, especially the King and the Prime Minister—or else his life might be in danger." Dae Wong's eyes widened out, gluing them to Chil Yook.

He resumed, "Leave him! Leave Sae Yoo."

"What? Why? No! I will not leave my son!"

"Correction—the King's son. Do you not realize that this is for Sae Yoo and your safety?"

Chil Yook's nose blazed up, boiling blood rushed into his head. His thick eyebrows assembled in a dark stare. "How is this for Shun and my safety, huh? Answer me!"

"Leave Shun to me. I will be his guardian. I could protect him if he is close to me. No one will suspect about him since he is just considered as the Prince's acquaintance... There will be upcoming recruitment of additional nangdos from the provinces. I can endorse him since Prince Sae Joo wants him to become his personal bodyguard as well."