제 4 부

The capital's marketplace was one of the busiest places in the kingdom. Its large courtyard, with the outer walls and inside filled with a maze of stalls, hocking products from all over the world, never ever tasted a moment of serenity. Sleep was an alien, meaningless word. Visitors first entering the marketplace had every sense assaulted—with strong smells of incense, flowers and perfumes, the sight of brightly colored clothes, glittering brass pots, steamy freshly-made, mouth-watering Silla delicacies, and the shouts of sellers advertising their wares, haggling with potential buyers and other merchants. Unwary visitors would definitely be trampled by hand-and horse-drawn carts and pushy shoppers.

However, some of those activities came to a halt when two nangdos posted an announcement in one of the market's walls. People gathered, and some merchants led the way in reading the pronouncement to convey the information to those peasants who could not read.

People of Silla, listen to your king. Bring your families to the royal courtyard and witness the eclipse ceremony the next day, afternoon. Let us all pray to the Heavens for good fortune.

After a random merchant read out loud what was written, the people discussed and many of them were surprised to know that the King had invited them all for the ceremony. They praised the King's name, agreeing that they have the privilege to be involved since they were the people of Silla. Many people looked up to the skies and prayed.

But as per an old saying, not all doves were white.

There was a cloth seller who was not interested in attending the ceremony. He believed that people should not always depend on their lives to the Heavens. He stepped forward out of the blue and spoke, "So what if the King invites us to see the ceremony? Do you really think that witnessing the eclipse would bring good fortune to you and your families?" he scoffed.

Everyone turned to look at the angry man, astonished for the blatant disrespect to the King and the Heavens with such an outburst.

"What are you talking about? Do not say anything like that to the Heavens. Wooh! You are giving me the creeps!" a woman sneered and strode away from the man.

Another old man butted in, "We believe in our King. He is sent by the Heavens to give us good fortune in life. It's already been tested. Just take a look around this market."

"W-wh-whatever! Attend if you want to. I'll just focus on my work."

"Try to relax once in a while, mister. This is a rare opportunity for commoners like us. Can't you imagine stepping your feet inside the palace? Breathing the same air the royals and nobles breathe? Do a sacred ceremony with them? They're giving us the honor to be involved. We exist! We are important."

The seller did not respond, his lips curling in annoyance. He just arranged some of his precious silk clothes, probably to attract more attention from potential customers.

"I will just pray for your soul. I hope the Heavens won't punish you."

~~•~~

Meanwhile, at the palace, all nine provincial governors gathered at the balcony of the Prime Minister's pavilion for a tea meeting—to welcome him from his long journey. Fantastic view of the pavilion roofs, the vibrant green forest, and the blue mountain ranges from afar. The wind rushing by their skins. All of them sat at a round table while the Prime Minister was at his special table in front of them, with Chil Yook standing to his right and Hoon to his left.

Jung Ho sipped his tea, commencing the gathering formally. "Governors, I am very delighted that you've accepted my invitation despite the sudden notice and your distance from the capital."