제 28 부

[FIFTEEN YEARS LATER]

For the past years, the palace had faced several phenomena that almost broke its core and foundation. Natural calamities became frequent, which had killed thousands of lives. Small rebellions had risen from different parts of the kingdom. Despite all those, miraculously, the palace had still managed to cope up. Just like what the Prime Minister had promised during the eclipse prediction, the palace had always helped the people in various ways, using more adept and more advanced technology.

That was for the scientific level. However, people were not aware of any of those. Many of them thought that it was because of the King's son—Prince Sae Joo, who was believed to had opened a new era and hope to the whole kingdom. Rumors about the Crown Prince spread across the whole kingdom like a raging wildfire even without seeing an inch of his shadow.

Inside the palace's main hall, where the council meeting was held, the members of the Hwabaek were early waiting. Standing on both sides of the yellow carpet, the ministers exchanged chatters. 

There was a little change in the members for others had retired already. Dae Wong and Yoo Min still looked almost the same; the only difference was a few facial hairs on their lips and chins. Yeol and Hoon had already retired due to their old ages, but they remained to be important noblemen in the palace. In the middle of their chatters, a eunuch announced, "The Prime Minister and Lord Jung Min have arrived."

Jung Ho and Jung Min walked down the red carpet. Jung Ho remained young as he was years back. The rumors must had been true—that he had been drinking babies' blood to remain youthful as ever. His broad shoulders and tall, stark physique still outshone all men in the whole palace. However, Jung Min might be his very close competitor. The crybaby grew up to be a dazzling, charming young man. Most of his features were close to his father, with a little variation from his unknown mother. He was as tall as Jung Ho; they had the same shape of sharp chestnut eyes, long pointed nose, thin red lips, and his best features—his perfect, angular, highlighted jaws.

Jung Min joined the council members, standing on the side of the carpet, for he had filled Hoon's position. He became the Head of the Prosecution Department a few years back. Jung Ho went a level up and sat on an elegant chair a level below the King's throne on the right. 

Just after the father and son came, the King arrived. "His Majesty graces you all!" announced the eunuch.

Jae Joong strode down the carpet and sat at his throne. Through the years, his soft features remained the same, but his angelic eyes were nowhere to be seen. Due to the different stresses in the past years, his once sweet eyes became a bit tired and heavy. Prominent dark circles clung into his eyes, and his face was surrounded with few hoary gray facial hairs.

"Is the council complete?" the King asked.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Jung Min answered; his voice was thick and deep.

The King nodded, and he looked at an empty seat one level down from his throne, opposite the Prime Minister, on his left. He sighed, "Is the Crown Prince informed? Why is he still not here?"

"Sire, maybe he is still with my daughter. I reminded him last night after his painting class with Minister Yoo Min," Jung Ho answered. 

A few moments later, the eunuch announced, "Prince Sae Joo has arrived."

Everyone looked at the front door as the guards had opened the door. The Crown Prince walked down the red carpet with his distracting long steps. The council members pulled their faces and bowed their heads as they saw traces of paints in the teenage prince's face. There were marks in his soft, almond eyes, near his small turned up nose, and heart-shaped scarlet lips. Patches of indigo paints tainted his obsidian-black, thick eyebrows. Almost all of his diamond-shaped face was covered. His tall, lean body accentuated in a white royal robe and an auburn cloak with patches of dried blue and green paints on it. Some of his hair strands dangled on his forehead, outside of his small crown pinned at the top of his head.