제 3 부

Giving its way to the inevitable arrival of the dark, the light coming from the sun kissed the skies its last goodbye. As the last of the light dipped behind the horizon, a crimson palanquin and several carts entered through the palace gates, scattering servants and courtiers alike, as the caravan pushed inside and finally stopped in the Prime Minister's grand pavilion. The old palace matron, Lady Min, grandly shoved aside the curtains of the palanquin and began instructing her servants to unload the carts, which contained an array of vases, silk, swords, crossbows and more items from the Tang Empire.

"Prime Minister Jung Ho is coming down! Prepare!"

Every servant fell in line on the sides of the hallway inside the pavilion while waiting for an important person to arrive. The nobleman descended from his palanquin, his chin held up high. A robe so silky hid under his satin cloak which dragged to the floor as he walked. His body, sturdy as a palace pillar crafted by the Heavens using a magical chisel, swaggered coldly down the pavilion. Each strand of his ebony hair was meticulously crafted into a topknot supported by a golden pin. His small, pointed nose that complemented the sharpness of his perfectly angular jaws—all those superficial treasures screamed perfection! Among all his physical features, his eyes outperformed them all. Chestnut almonds so bewitching and enticing transcended every person's soul, capable of reading their thoughts and emotions.

He was the Sangdaedeung, the Prime Minister of Silla and the leader of all Hwarang, the kingdom's military. Some people considered him as a demigod due to his flawless physical appearance, but underneath his bewitching looks lay a dark, ruthless beast. These darker rumors were whispered by the servants only in the quietest of corners—that the Prime Minister was magic—that he drank baby's blood and copulated with foreign young women to maintain his youth—that he envied the King.

Everyone bowed their heads as the Prime Minister strolled down the pavilion hallway. He looked straight with a sharp look in his eyes. Nobody dared to steal a glance at any parts of his body as he walked because his every movement made their hearts skipped a beat.

Then he paused.

The servants' hearts throbbed like a horse galloping to escape a ferocious tiger. The Prime Minister turned around and announced, "I wish to see my wife."

Lady Min bowed her head and ordered the servants to organize their Lord's things in his chamber. The Prime Minister left his pavilion, and the frozen servants felt truly unloaded.

~~•~~

Jung Ho strode into his wife's pavilion, her-lady-in-waiting barely announcing his presence before he entered her chambers—sent guards and court ladies bowing and scattering out of his way. A beautiful woman in white robe, sitting in her bed, greeted him with a smile.

"My Lord, what brings you here?" his wife murmured, etching a smile onto her rosy lips.

"Dear, aren't you going to ask how I was?"

"Forgive me, My Lord. You must be tired."

"Why would I be tired? My daughter's right in front of me."

With a zealous look, Jung Ho sat on his wife's bed and caressed the woman's belly. He then rested his head on the baby lump and hummed—a tune so deep and soothing. "Jin Ri, I cannot wait to see you," he cooed, fingers dancing across his wife's robe as he addressed his unborn daughter. "I promise that you will be a fine lady, and you will get whatever your heart desires."

"What a lovely name, My Lord."

Jung Ho turned and smiled at his wife. Strangely, she was stunned, her face drained in color, her heart skipped a beat. An ironic response to a simple smile (she wished!). The Prime Minister sat up and caressed her hands. "Please take care of yourself." his hands suddenly tightened its grip to those soft fingers while maintaining a tame visage. "If I knew that you're skipping your herbal tonics just because they're bitter, I would be very, very disappointed."