Chapter 20

2019, September 26th - thursday | 1pm

Aster's PO.V.:

"Aren't you burning up in that turtleneck?"

I look up from the restaurant menu to Tim, who is sitting across the table with a puzzled expression on his face. He is glancing at the long sleeved black turtleneck I had to wear to work today, even though it's like, 77°F outside.

"I'm very cold-natured." I answer shortly, a faint smile playing on my lips and he nods as I drag my eyes back to the menu.

To be honest, I am roasting inside this warm clothes, but there's no way I would show up at work looking like a fucking Dalmatian. When I woke up today and looked myself in the mirror, for a moment I thought I was staring at Tate, that's how many love bites I have scattered all over my body. Dark red circles spread on both sides of my neck, shoulders, back, chest, belly, inner thighs. Not to mention the purple cuff marks around my wrists.

Harry put on quite a show last night, didn't he?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind about what the fuck was all that. When Rickie came to my office, I expected about anything but what Harry actually had in mind. Now, I'm perfectly aware of what he wanted - revenge, pure and simple, for what I've done to him at Pandemonium.

Without realizing it, I've started a game with him. It wasn't my intention, I wasn't even thinking when it happened, but now that's on, there's no coming back. And one thing I know for sure.

I do not play to lose.

"Have you decided your order, love?" Tim gets me out of my own head and I realize I've been staring at the menu for a while, but haven't actually looked at it. Both Tim and the waitress patiently stares at me, waiting.

"Yeah, I'll have, hmmm.. The zucchini spaghetti with tomatoes sauce." I blurt out, glancing again to the menu and picking the first thing that pops to my eyes. "And a sparkling water. Thanks."

The waiter nods, turning on his shoes and walking away. Tim grins, raising his eyebrows.

"You're quite distracted today. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry... I'm being kinda shitty as company today." I throw him an apologetic look.

"No, not at all." Tim smiles, being the nice guy he is. "I've heard you're going to Washington next week, are you nervous about it?"

"Definitely" I smile, glad to have something else to think about and distract myself from my own rambling mind. "It's the first time I go by myself, I'm really looking forward to it."

"You seem quite chill about it, though." Tim observes "I would be kinda freaking out, it's nice to see you so relaxed."

"Oh, I'm definitely not relaxed" I giggle, rolling my eyes. "Actually I'm so nervous I'm not even thinking about it as much as I should."

There's a huge fair that happens annually in Washington, exclusively focused on the pharmaceutical industry, where all the supply chain of the sector is concentrated. There are conferences, presentations and seminars concerning the whole sector - introduction to new raw material and machinery, news on quality control and tracking, stocking and final product destination. It's the biggest deal for the pharmaceutical industry, and S&L is always part of the event - sometimes as exhibitor, others as guest. It doesn't matter how the arrangements are, my father and Desmond are always there.

Even though I've been there before, it was with them, and for the first time in S&L's history, they won't go. Instead, I'll go by myself, representing S&L and low key being introduced to the market as the new face of S&L. My father made it very clear when he and Desmond decided to give me the responsibility, they were also making a statement - things are starting to change in S&L, and I'm the one who is going to lead everything when the right time comes.