.06 promise

The sun rises the next day, and Gemma wakes both Willow and Harry up at the crack of dawn. "I would appreciate some sleep right about now," Gemma tells them before quickly falling asleep.

"So we made day one," Willow states, handing Harry some dried fruit.

"Yeah we did," Harry says happily. In all honesty Harry thought he was going to die at the Cornucopia when he volunteered, and now look at him! Day two already!

"So what's you and Louis' deal?" Willow asks, getting comfy in her sleeping bag next to Gemma.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean is there some sort of chemistry? Do you hate him? What's up?" Willow asks.

"I don't like him, he's vile," Harry says, but it feels wrong to say that. Louis isn't vile. Harry just doesn't understand him yet.

"Oh that's too bad, you guys would have been cute," Willow says frowning.

"Even if there was something there we're still in the games, and only one of us would survive," Harry points out.

"You know your mentor?" Willow asks, "Katniss Everdeen?"

"Yeah what about her?"

"She loved a boy named Peeta, and they won the games together," Willow explains.

"They did? How come I don't know about this?" Harry asks.

"The Capital doesn't show it, fear of a third rebellion I suppose," Willow says gulping some water from the canteen.

"No, I mean how come Katniss never said anything about Peeta, if they won the games together shouldn't I have seen him?" Harry questions, grabbing the canteen from Willow and drinking some water.

"He was tortured and brainwashed in the Capital, went insane and had to be shot," Willow says, "it was to bad too, he was a lovely painter and baker."

"I used to work at a bakery," Harry points out.

"Good to know."

"So they won the games together then?" Harry asks.

"Yeah, but the gamemaker that allowed that was killed."

"Lovely."

"So what's our plan for today?" Willow asks Harry, changing the topic.

"Lounge around and eat I suppose, unless you want to kill people," Harry replies.

"No."

"That's what I thought," Harry says. And so for the rest of that day they lounge up in a tree and eat dried fruit.

However Louis day goes a bit differently. They only killed one person all day and Piper was fuming by evening.

"We don't need Vivian and Isaac there's no point in having them!" Piper wines picking up her trident and tossing it around.

"Do we have to kill her?" Louis asks, his promise floating around the back of his head.

"It seems like the best thing to do," Ethan admits, turning to Louis.

"Can I do the favors?" Piper asks excitedly.

"Sure," Victoria answers.

"Louis can you go get them?" Piper requests.

"I'd rather Ethan," Victoria says.

"Just someone get them!" Piper wines, stomping her trident on the ground. Ethan goes over to where Vivian is laying next to Isaac.

"Both of you come with me," Ethan instructs, leading them towards the rest of the group. Vivian and Isaac follow him happily.

"We thank you for all your help," Ethan begins, once they get to the group, "but we all agree that your assistance is no longer needed."

And with that a trident goes through Isaac's throat and a cannon booms. Tears start to form in Vivians eyes and she looks up at Louis.

"Louis please don't let them!"

Louis looks down at Vivian and sees her trembling.

"Louis please, you promised."

And the next thing he knows Vivian gets stabbed in the stomach. A cannon goes off, and Piper laughs happily. "Three is more like it!" Piper yanks the trident out of Vivian and some guts come flying out with it.

Piper does a little dance and laughs evilly with the rest of the career pack as they walk back over to the Cornucopia. Louis stays behind.

He broke his promise. Vivian's dead.

Louis thinks back to a game many years before he was born. It was the 74th Hunger Games. One tribute, a girl named Rue, got speared through the stomach. The other tribute, who turned into a victor, buried Rue in flowers and sang to her.

Louis walks over to Vivian and cleans the blood and guts off her jacket and zips it up. Louis doesn't like looking at her cold, still eyes, so he runs his hand over her face, pushing her eyelids closed.

She is just sleeping now, Louis thinks to himself. It's believable too, because she looks very peaceful laying there with her eyes closed.

Louis turns to the boy, Isaac, and cleans him up like he cleaned Vivian. He doesn't really know Isaac, but it doesn't seem fair that only Vivian would get cleaned up.

Louis picks Vivian up, and carries her to the edge of the woods, where the flowers are plentiful. He places her in a patch of light pink and white flowers.

Louis then fetches Isaac, and places him in a patch of flowers farther away from Vivian. He walks back over to Vivian, and rolls up his sleeve, looking down at the three bracelets on his arm.

They are worn and rugged brown pieces of cloth tied together at one end. Every tribute has something called a tribute token. A tribute token is something that each tribute brings with them into the arena, that represents their district and reminds them of home.

The three bracelets are Louis' tribute token. Louis takes a seat next to Vivian and looks down on her. "You know I made two promises the night before I came here," Louis says to Vivian, "and one of them was to keep you safe."

Tears find their way to Louis' eyes. He didn't know he cared for Vivian this deeply. "My other promise was for Harry to get out of here alive, and now I'm doubting that I can do that."

Louis takes one of the three so called bracelets (they should be called rags) and slips it onto Vivian's wrist. "My mom and sisters have these you know," Louis points out to the dead body.

"Now we're all connected. I'd give one to Isaac, but I didn't really know him. Good lad I suppose, if you liked him."

Louis sighs, tears silently streaming down his face. "Anyways, I'm leaving this for someone else," Louis tells Vivian, gesturing to his second bracelet on his arm, "you were right, last night when we spoke."

"I might fancy Harry just a bit, but I swear to you I don't know why," Louis explains, "you were so right, it is odd that I just happen to remember his eyes were a meadow-y green."

"I know Harry doesn't like me because I volunteered willingly," Louis laughs softly, "but I try, you know? And trust me Vivian I will keep my other promise. Harry won't die, not if there's anything I can do about it."

Louis kisses Vivian's forehead, and fastens the bracelet to fit her tiny wrist. "You were too young," Louis states stroking her hair, "remind me of Lottie."

He then walks over to see Isaac. "I'm sorry, I just wish this was easier, I hope you rest in peace." He walks back over to Vivian and mutters one last goodbye and rest in peace, before walking back to the career pack.

The careers were watching Louis clean the kids off, and they watch him give his tribute token to Vivian. At this, they realize that Louis has a big heart, and that isn't good.

Louis broke his one promise, but he isn't going to break his other one.

And when all hell breaks loose the next day.

He doesn't break that promise.