Chapter XVII - Confess

The two stood in a stalemate: Y/N's gun trained on Yoongi, Yoongi with a knife to Dahyun's throat.

"I thought you hate guns," said Yoongi, eyeing the revolver.

"Didn't say I didn't know how to use them."

Yoongi let out a deep laugh. "Of course, you do. Hell hath no fury like the maniac scorn."

He turned his attention to Y/N. "So what was it you wanted? My money? Your reputation? Your inheritance?"

Inheritance? thought Dahyun, her face twisted in confusion.

Yoongi noticed her shift in posture.

"What?! You didn't tell her?" asked Yoongi. "About your past?"

Stoic, Y/N continued to stare him down.

"Not even about your family?" Yoongi continued sarcastically with an exaggerated pout. "Ah lil bro, I'm hurt."

Lil bro? Dahyun thought. They're brothers?

"We are not brothers!" declared Y/N. "You betrayed me. You betrayed Dad."

"Yeah, well it made a good story in the end. Dad chose you to inherit the company despite you being the youngest child instead of me. It was MY birthright! You STOLE it from me!" he roared.

Yoongi composed himself before continuing.

"Father always liked you more than me. Do you still remember those headlines that morning? Son of CEO kills his father to gain early birthright? Everyone gobbled it up. And what did you do next? You ran. No one could find you. It was the perfect story for me to take your place."

"But... that doesn't make any sense!" Dahyun retorted. "Y/N's last name is 'Kim'."

"'Kim' was our mother's maiden name..." Yoongi rolled his eyes. "... like almost every other Korean family out there. The perfect way to hide under everyone's nose."

He stopped. His eyes seemed possessed by something else for a second. "But you came running back. To me... Why?"

"You ruined me. Everyone knew my name. I had nothing. No job, no future." Y/N's eyes flickered with hate. "Figured I'd return the favor."

Yoongi's eyes lit up. "Oh, did you now? Tell me then, what did you find that could possibly ruin me."

"Safe in your office. Templates for a machine that can manufacture realistic diamonds imitations of enormous size. Black market trade."

Yoongi chuckled. "You can't possibly associate that with the black market. The templates can prove that I have developed a revolutionary piece of technology." He stared back at Y/N. "Try again."

Y/N stopped and collected his thoughts. Yoongi is so confident he can walk away. What is the root of his cockiness?

"This area is a kill zone. Your men launched a full assault without federal or judicial authorization, a hit team."

Yoongi nodded. "A convincing theory, for sure. But why would I be here? Cops show up, they see us. You, a criminal with an ongoing statute of limitations, holding me and this girl here at gunpoint. Who would the authorities believe more: the fugitive on the run or the well-known CEO?"

He repositioned himself and his blade against Dahyun's throat. "And herein lies your problem. You think too much. You spend too much analyzing that you miss the obviousity of your actions. I can stay two steps ahead of you while you are still figuring out what to do next. Loose ends, yes. But it's not a crime if it's committed by a rich person." His face curled up into a grin. "It's checkmate, Y/N. I win again."