Chapter Thirty-One

The way back was full of laughter.

"Did you see his face?" Uriah laughed.

"Yeah, his face spoke of the phrase, 'what the hell." I laughed.

"He looked like he just saw a ghost," he laughs.

"I gave him the creeps!" I laugh. We reach the apartment and everyone stares at us.

"Did you do it?" asks Zeke his words slurred, from drinking I suppose.

"Oh yeah!" I yell. The whole room erupts into a wave of laughter.

"What was-" Catherine's interrupted by a knock on the door. I walk to the door, my hand falls onto my gun and my grip tightens. I grip my free hand on the knob and I open the door. Eric stands with a frown on his face.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

"Why do you hate me?" he asks with desperation in his stern voice.

"Eric, why would I like you. You're a coward." I ask as I try to shut the door.

"Wait," he says looking me in the eye. "I love you," he says. I just stand there. I feel my face shrivel up from the disgust.

"Well, news flash! I don't love you. I love Edward!" I say as I shut the door. I stand there a few seconds and I turn around. Everyone looks at me. My gaze searchs for Edward. He's not here. Why?

"Guys. Where's Edward?" I ask.

"I don't know," says Catherine.

"I gotta go," I say rushing out of the door.

Where could he be? My thoughts think of Eric, how he said he loved me. I don't love him, that's for sure. I said I loved Edward, this can't be good. I race down the narrow hallways, I land on Eric's apartment. I lift my foot and use all of my force and kick the door open with my gun in my hands. The grip tightening with every second that passes me by.

"Ahhhh!" yells someone. Edward.

"Get off of him!" I yell as I see Eric with a belt. Dripping with blood. The memories of seeing Four beaten come to mind. "You know why I will never love you? You are a monster!" I yell at him my gun's aim on Eric.

"Carter, please I love you," Eric says dropping the belt. "I can change for you," he continues.

"Stop it! I don't love you! For God's sake! I love Edward!" I yell at him. "I don't love cowards like you," I say.

"Please," he pleads.

"No! Let him go!" I shout at him with the grip on my gun tightening.

"Fine. You're just a stupid Stiff anyway," sighs Eric. He releases Edward, and from what I can see Edward's not okay. I go to Edward, letting him lean against him.

When we exit his blood trails behind him. Dripping against the cold, stone floors. He starts to groan and yelps out of pain.

"Edward! What's wrong?" I ask him. I glance at him and he falls out of my grasp. Behind him stands Eric with his belt. Glistening with fresh blood.

"You bastard!" I yell at him.

"You will love me," he says kissing me roughly. I hate it. I hate him.

"What the hell?! Get off of her!" yells a familiar voice behind me. He pulls away and I gasp and spit on the ground. When I turn around I see Uriah.

"What he do?" he asks.

"He-he whipped Edward because I said I loved him and he released him and then he hurt him. He kissed me," I say with disgust in my voice.

"Come on. We need to help him," he says lifting Edward. I walk to him and we grasp Edward. As his consciousness wavering.

When we reach medical help, we're loaded with questions. We put him on an empty bed with his body facing down. I just walk out, I need to get out of this horrible atmosphere. The air is cool and chilly. This being a result of being underground. I walk these halls once again, this time with relief and just the feeling of happiness. I'm not happy though, I feel relived. I wonder what goes on in Eric's mind. Does he have evil in his soul? That's not even a question. That's a statement.

This type of feeling isn't the type anyone would like. I feel like I almost lost someone, which I actually did. I could've lost Edward today. I just don't know what to say about it. Or what to feel. He's safe. I tell myself. I am? I can't trust anyone. Can I? I am not safe. No matter how much I want to forget about my past, my Divergence. I can't it's mended inside of me. It's part of me. It will always be.

My life is perplexing and I can't comprehend. The weight on my shoulders is almost unbearable. I need to release to some of it. Let all of it go. I will make it here and when Edward, Tris, Four and I leave for the Bureau I will be alive. I will survive. I will. My determination cannot be denied. I will make it.