CHAPTER 3: The Beginning

Saleem:

Today, I woke up to one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life. Just the still melancholy that I love, that makes life and nature harmonise.

My very soul is wedded to autumn, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.

Upon completing the required hours of bed rest and observation, I was discharged from the hospital.

Ammar on the other hand is still at the hospital, But nobody came to his rescue. It was as if he has no family, or nobody cares about his wellbeing.

Feeling like his savior and guardian angel, I decided to go to his house and personally deliver the news to his family. I looked up his address on one of the test forms he has filled at the front desk when I was checking myself out of the hospital and took off.

When I reached the house, I couldn't find anybody. I nearly gave up when a man suddenly appeared wearing an apron, I asked him if Ameera is home, he said no. But, he gave me another address where I can find her.

On reaching there, I found a huge crowd. But something seemed off, All I could see is a bunch of people with grim faces. There is confusion, worry and chaos all over the place. It was as if something horrible has happened

I tapped on a mans shoulder and I asked, "can I talk in private with Ameerah's father?"

"Of course" he answered as he led me into the massive building through A front door that could accommodate a family of giraffes. Persian rug covered a shopworn carpet and Prints of gentlemen riding to hounds decorate the walls.

I love the Polished wood floors and a graceful banister that curved up toward a soaring second floor gallery.

As we walked silently, I asked the man "What's the occasion if I may ask?"

"It's a wedding almost turned funeral, Ameerah is getting married today but her groom Ammar is no where to be found, even his waliy has no knowledge of his whereabouts.

As we have all gathered here waiting for the groom, Ameerah received a devastating phone call. She received the terrible news of her brothers involvement in a fatal car accident yesterday evening. We concluded that, that's the reason why he is not here for the weeding Nikah"

"That's why I am here, I was a witness to the accident. I saw what happened" I replied

The man suddenly seemed more interested in me than ever before, he dragged me through the crowd to the middle of the hall as he desperately search for someone. He finally spotted an elderly man, he waved at him discretely and waited for a moment.

The elderly man got the signal, and he approached us immediately.

"Come with me", he said as he led the way into a massive sitting room. There is something about this guy that looked so familiar, I know I have seen him somewhere before, I just couldn't recall

He introduced himself as Alhaji Daneji, the brides father. On hearing that name, my body forgot how to function normally. That name made me freeze, and I was short of breath.

It is suddenly feeling a thousand degrees hotter in this room and I suddenly didn't know what to say or how to act. He just gave me a knowing smile, I bet he gets that a lot.

Alhaji Daneji is one of those guys that you only see on television or newspapers, he is a well renowned business tycoon and an owner of a multi billion dollar company.

He is a great man, an idol, and an oracle of inquiry. He has this charisma that is enough to draw birds out of trees and convince them to live under the sea

Alhaji Daneji is a billionaire businessman based in the USA. He is the owner of the DNS Group of companies, which has interests in commodities and raw materials in Nigeria and other countries. he has an estimated net worth of 10 billion US dollars

He is ranked by the Bloomberg Billionaires Index as the 50th richest person in the world and the richest man in Africa, in 2019

"What news do you have for me? Quickly get to the point because I have to be on my way out, I'm heading to the hospital to see my son" He said, bringing me out of my trance.

I cleared my throat as I reviewed my choice of words, not wanting to offend Alhaji Daneji even if it's with the truth. People like Alhaji Daneji are not ordinary people and are therefore only told what they want to hear.

I take in a deep breath knowing that no amount of preparation can make me ready for what I am about to say next

"Well, I'm here with both good and bad news". I said, regaining my composure.

"Let me start with the good news"

"Your son Ammar is alive and is still at the hospital" I continued

"The bad news is, he was with his girlfriend when it happened, but she didn't make it". I said with a hint of regret in my voice.

"Interesting, Ammar you said? " he asked

"Yeah", I answered.

"How do you know that this Ammar is my son? he asked, suddenly looking a little bit relaxed"

"Because his sister "Ameerah" is the only way we were able to trace him. She was the only relative he saved on his phone and she's the last person he talked to".

"The hospital called a few numbers but nobody was picking up except sister Ameerah".

Sister Ameerah? Is that how he saved her name in his phone? He asked

"Yeah"

"Can you please call out the sisters number so that I can confirm you're not making this up?"

"Sure" I said, bringing out my phone and calling out the digits for him.

"Oh" he said, as if realization just hit him with a devilish smile on his face.

He turned and looks at his driver who was waiting for his orders and said

"Change of plans, we are not going to the hospital"

A man in his late twenties appeared, he opened his mouth to say something, but before the words could fall off his mouth, Alhaji daneji introduces him to me as his son. The son whom they thought had an accident

Young man, Ammar is not my son. He is my supposed son in-law, Ameerah my daughter is his fiancé. But it seems he has other plans, Which includes making a complete fool out of my daughter and myself.

A moment later, realization hit me. Now I understand what is happening, Ammar is not a brother to Ameerah. He just saved her name in his phone as "Sister Ameerah" for some unknown reason, or because he is a cheating ass. I guess Ammar's karma just caught up with him yesterday.

Ammar is The run away groom of Ameerah who abandoned her at the alter on their wedding day because he's got a new girl but he doesn't have the guts to let her know. What a mess.

************************
Thanks For Reading😘
Love you All
Don't Forget To Vote, Share & Comment
Hope You're hooked already 😉