Chapter Six

Drake and I danced the night away, once he finally found me in the crowd, and I didn't care once when I stumbled. By the end of it all, I was exhausted, but that didn't stop me from grinning like an idiot. Being with Drake made me feel like a child on Christmas.

It was around three in the morning that the ballroom began to empty, and Drake and I decided to part. With a final kiss on my knuckles, he followed after his father. Drake had offered to take me back to my room, seeming to be afraid that I would collapse again, but I politely declined – after my talk with Father, I wouldn't want to risk it.

I was on my way back to my room, my eyes heavy with exhaustion, when I felt the back of my neck prickle. I ignored it at first, thinking it to be a guard patrolling, but was startled to hear someone speak.

"Your Highness." I jumped and whirled around, my hand over my chest. Before me was Leighton, holding a letter in his hand. "My apologies for startling you," he said stiffly.

"It's alright," I breathed, attempting to calm my heart. "The late hour just has me jumpy."

He nodded before holding out the letter. As I took it, our fingers touched and he flinched. "Her Majesty requested that I passed this on to you." With a bow, he turned to leave. "Goodnight, Your Highness."

I gripped his arm, blurting, "Are you alright? You just seem so . . . different lately. As if you're upset."

He stared at me for a few moments before running a hand through his hair. "I am a guard and you are the princess," he sighed. "At best, our friendship is strained. But with the foreign royals being here, and you courting the prince, our friendship is improper. You have a reputation, and I would hate to damage it."

He had a point, though I hated to admit it. "But we are still friends?" I asked. He must've seen how upset I was, for his eyes softened as he nodded. "Goodnight, Leighton," I said, almost holding my breath for his next words.

"Goodnight, Your Highness."

With that, he was gone. My heart ached as I watched him walk away – he refused to even say my name. It took me a long while to find the strength to return to my room, and a great deal of blinking to stop the tears. Perhaps others would see it as childish. After all, such a friendship was frowned upon. But having known him most of my life, it hurt.

I tried to shake away the thoughts as I reached my room, and after a moment, my head was clear of them. It was unusual, but I thought nothing of it. Instead, I focused on getting ready to retire – I pulled out the baubles from my hair and stripped from my dress before pulling on a white nightgown.

Though I was tired, I was eager to read the letter after recognising Aunt Diane's swirling handwriting. So, without another thought, I opened it and began to read.

My dearest Beauty,
No doubt your mother has already told you that I am to visit the day after tomorrow, and will be staying for quite a while. But rather than informing you, I am writing to give you a warning. News has travelled across the land that the royals of Kallis are paying a visit.

My girl, I trust you to be wise and sensible, but I need you more than ever to keep your guard up. There are some who wish to prevent the union between the kingdoms, and I fear they might try to harm you to achieve this goal.

When I arrive, spend time by my side – I have already requested a room close to yours. But until I arrive, please do not be folly. Keep your wits about you.

Your loving aunt,
Diane

I had to read the letter several times to grasp what she was saying. Who would want to separate the kingdoms and prevent a union? If the two kingdoms united, there would be fewer deaths and no wars. But to keep them separated and strike conflict would start a war. Who could want such a horrible thing?

Shaking my head to clear the thoughts, I set the letter on my dresser. I suddenly didn't feel tired anymore, so I went out on the balcony to get fresh air. As I leaned against the stone railing, I sucked in a deep breath, savouring the cold burn of the air.

The night sky was spotted with twinkling stars, the crescent moon illuminating the sky just enough for me to see the mountains in the distance; the border between Kallis and Eshon. It didn't help me forget about what my aunt said in the letter, and after a few minutes, I let a sigh out of my nose in frustration.

But I was shaken from my thoughts at the sound of flapping wings. Glancing to my side, I saw a large crow perching by my hand. Its beady eyes stared up at me and it tilted its head to the side in what seemed to be curiosity. "Silly creature," I murmured, turning away once more. The guards would likely kill it if they saw it – whether for their own amusement or as a statement of pride.

The bird was persistent, however, and nudged my wrist with its head. Upon being ignored, it cawed loudly. "Alright, fine," I sighed, leaning down so I stared face-to-face with it. "What can I do for you?" It made no attempt to respond, and why would it? It was just a crow – and a demanding one at that. "Come back tomorrow and I will have sweet tarts for you." I was talking to animals – wasn't that the first sign of madness?

But, as if it understood me, the crow cawed and took flight. I watched it until it was out of my sight, frowning slightly. What an odd creature. Of course, I knew that the crow did not understand me. It was just a bird. And yet, as I closed the balcony doors and prepared myself for sleep, I silently promised myself that I would being the tarts the next night.

Just in case.