Chapter Forty-Nine

I returned to our shared chambers after the meeting, leaving Drake to give more precise orders to the three generals he selected. I didn't know how he decided who to choose, or how he would even be able to move that many men to a different city in time, but I trusted he knew what he was doing.

I busied myself with preparing Drake's equipment and armour, knowing he would have little time to prepare, if they were to be able to station the armies in time. His armour was made from a thick, sturdy material, that was light enough to be worn as normal clothing, though I knew it would protect the wearer from blades. I didn't understand how it worked, but appreciated the craft, nonetheless. To go with it, marking him as the king, was a helmet crafted from dark iron, the metal twisted into ornate designs around two metal horns that curled around the sides. Beautiful.

As I rummaged through the closet, pulling out blades and leather belts, I paused upon seeing a set of armour folded on one of the shelves. I lifted it, letting the material unfold, to reveal a set twin to Drake's – except far too small for him. It was for me, I realised, a smile tugging at my lips. With the little training I had been given, I knew I could not fight on the battlefield like the generals and their soldiers. Perhaps one day, I could fight beside my husband, even if not during this war. But even if I could not fight, I knew I had to be there. Not just to witness it, but to make a statement. That I was on Kallis' side, despite who we were fighting against.

Once the gear was laid out and I dressed in the armour, I perched on the end of the bed, waiting for Drake to return. I knew he wouldn't be long, and less than an hour later, he was stepping through the door. He thanked me for setting out the gear, quickly dressing, when he turned and looked at me properly.

"Why are you wearing armour?" he asked, paling slightly.

"I'm coming with you." He opened his mouth to object, but I raised a hand to stop him, continuing, "I cannot fight as soldiers can. But I want to be there for you and them after the battle. To help our people. It sends a message, my whereabouts, and I do not want to give the impression of being weak."

He pursed his lips for a moment, studying my expression, before nodding. "Very well. I will have Cordia be by your side and you will stay with her. There is land which is quite high and far enough away from the buildings that you will likely be safe."

My shoulders almost sagged in relief, but I managed to maintain my composure, offering him a wide smile. I knew it was very likely he would not let me go with them, but knowing that he trusted me to be safe and trust him was a relief.

"How will you manage to bring the armies there in time?" I asked. I had only a vague knowledge on the sizes of his armies, but from what I had gathered, each general commanded about two thousand soldiers each. That meant six thousand men and women would need to be transported to another city, set up camp, and prepare for a battle . . . all before sunrise.

Drake held out a hand to help me up, having finished preparing himself, and we walked side-by-side through the castle. Towards the stables, I realised.

"Not all of our soldiers reside within this city," he replied. "A few of the generals are from the surrounding cities, commanding soldiers from there. One of the generals attending today lives in the city where we are going – Kethron. His soldiers will set up a camp outside the city walls in preparation for our troops to arrive and will hold off any attack in the case we do not arrive in time."

We had reached the stables, a horse already prepared for our arrival. Drake gripped my waist, hoisting me onto the horse before swinging on behind me. I didn't know if we took only one for speed or because they did not know I would be coming, but I didn't complain as we set off. Drake kept the horse at a steady pace, only speeding up once we left the centre of the city.