R-E-J-E-C-T-E-D

SOTD: NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE BY SCLUB7 (HAVING A THROWBACK KIND OF DAY)

So this was Matthew Parker Gold...don't judge me, I did my research on him. In the world of finance, he was a huge deal and there was tons of media coverage on his high profile arrest.

According to these media sources, the police had suspected him and his partners of fraudulent business for over three years before officially arresting him. Andrew still hadn't told me all the details of the case besides telling me that Mr. Gold was put away for fraud, so I still wasn't sure how much of what the media said was true.

"Care to introduce her, son?" Mr. Gold looked at Andrew out of the corner of his eye and sat down looking unbothered.

I stared at where Andrew stood in the hallway and he slunk into the living room watching me the entire time. I wasn't sure what the look in his eyes meant but I couldn't deny the heat that made itself present at the back of my neck.

"This is Harper Dale" Andrew said, voice confident and just as unbothered as his fathers.

I smiled shyly at the older Gold and opened my mouth to speak, "I'm his g~"

"Good friend. She's my good friend" Andrew quickly cut in giving his dad a knowing look and then turning to me, "A good friend who just came to check in on me and is on her way home right now"

My face stung as if I had just been slapped ten times over. There were no words to describe how I felt in that moment as Andrew looked at me dismissively and his father raised an eyebrow.

"Andrew, could I speak to you for a second? Friend to friend?" The words came out darker than I wanted them to and he laughed as if I had just told a joke.

"Harper, my father just got here...I'm sure you understand?"

It was Andrew who spoke but I couldn't bring myself to look away from his father. He eyed me up and down imperceptibly and my heart faltered.

Surely....surely his father wasn't checking me out.

"No no, you children have a moment. I need to freshen up anyways" Mr. Gold patted his son on the shoulder and gave me a mega watt smile, extending his left hand, "it was nice meeting you Mrs. Dale, I hope to make your acquaintance again"

I forced the brightest smile I could on and clasped my hand in his, "as do I"

His handshake was brisk and strong, and the moment he let go I just kind of stared at my hand for reasons unknown.

"When someone doesn't pick their phone up after a billion calls, it probably means they're busy" Andrews voice came clipped the moment the tap in the bathroom sounded.

"Or it means they got kidnapped and are on their way to the murderers hideout" My voice was just as cold as his was and he rolled his eyes as if I was being a child.

I watched as he rubbed a hand across the stubble that had begun to form around his jawline and he sighed, "Harper, please just go"

He wouldn't even look at me as he said it and I let out a dry laugh, "Gladly"

I turned to storm out of the apartment but came face to shoulder with a Gold that certainly wasn't Andrew and cleared my throat awkwardly as Mr. Gold gave me a small smile.

"Leaving so soon?"

I turned back to look at Andrew and willed him to tell his father exactly why I was storming out, "Harper's got a lot of work to get done...for school"

Mr. Gold nodded at this understandingly, "What are you taking?"

I was kind of thrown off at the fact that he kept asking questions and wouldn't let me storm out peacefully.