Chapter 39 - Fear The Woman Standing Behind The Man

Start from the beginning

"Mina's orders are as good as mine," Tommy affirms. Amused, he states, "They have already been given those orders."

"Good!" Spinning on my heels, I head to the lift. My heart sinks with every step I take, I don't want to leave Raffaele, but I need to deal with this fucker. I want to deal with this fucker. Stepping into the elevator, Tommy follows, "Are they aware that they will be flying back to the States tonight?" I question.

"Yes, Nick has arranged the jet. Paul, Amir, and Jamal head out to control the institution." He straightens his suit jacket.

"The priest?"

"Leon and Alex are flying back with them. I have fulfilled all your requests, Mrs. Morelli." He teases

"Okay," I mumble. Stepping out of the lift, I follow Tommy through the hospital doors to the Morelli car.

I had always looked forward to visiting beautiful Italy. This trip, however, has been a nightmare. I want to head home and come back fresh one day soon. There are so many things I want to see and do here in Italy. All my plans for this trip have been tainted.

"What are you thinking?" Tommy questions as he walks around to the driver's seat.

Sliding into the car, I click in the seat belt, "I'm planning our next trip to Italy and all the places I'm going to force Raffaele to take me."

Grinning, he roars the engine to life, "I'm sure my brother will be thrilled."

Hope! Without it, I would go insane. It was hope that pulled me through when I was pregnant to Nate, and it's what I'm clinging to now. I hope that he will feel me next to him and returns to me sooner rather than later. Slouching back in my seat, I close my eyes and think back to the house Raffaele bought for us in California. He pictured us there together with our family, and although I only spent a week there, it felt like home. Our home and I'm desperate to go back. I've fallen in love with a dangerous man and embraced a life that will haunt me. Fiddling with my rings, I'm reminded I am Mrs. Morelli, and it's the man I have fallen in love with, not the occupation.

"You keep looking at those rings!" Tommy points out.

"You will understand it one day," I mumble, glancing his way.

"Nah, I won't." He vigorously shakes his head. I roll my eyes at the same old games.

Arriving at the warehouse, I suck in a breath. I'm not nervous, far from actually. I'm fuming! The man in there is the reason my husband is lying on a hospital bed. The familiar storm brews within, and that hurricane swirls violently. I want to hurt this man. I'm going to hurt this man! Tommy kills the engine, and I open my door. Making eye contact with Luciano and Stefano, they're waiting for us in front of the door. I scoff at the view of the warehouse. Morelli styled. Nothing looks cheap or run down. The amount of guards circulating is ridiculous.

Walking up to them, Luciano intently studies me as he speaks, "How are you doing cara -dear?"

Blowing a breath, I run my hand down his arm and offer him a meek smile, "As good as I can be in this situation."

"My son is a strong man. He will come back to you."

My lip quivers, and frustration proliferate, "Stupid hormones!" I mumble, causing and three men to chuckle. In the last couple of days, I have struggled to hold back the endless waves of despairing emotions flooding me. Sure, the pregnancy is a contributor, but the situations that have occurred are soul-crushing and heartbreaking.

Our relationship has had many obstacles, but the moments of love, passion, and family bonding, overpower and prove that a healthy relationship, loving husband is a possibility even in this world. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I nod. "Let's do this!"