Chapter 30 - Complications

Asimina

I woke up this morning to an empty bed, stretching out. I think about last night. My God, it was awkward! The Capos in these situations are not discreet. With sly smirks, they wouldn't stop staring at Tommy. The Gun was burning holes through Kat while she did her best to avoid him. Sitting up, I let out a yawn. I need to sleep for a week to gain some of my energy back. Tomorrow I marry Raffaele again, this time Italian style. My heart flutters at the thought.

Throwing on some clothes, I keep it simple again jeans and a t-shirt. I'll be in another heavy dress tomorrow. I need comfort today. Making my way to the bathroom, I halt and pick my phone at the sound of a message. "We are waiting for you. Breakfast, remember? You have twenty minutes, and we are starting without you." Kat informs.

Laughing, I set my phone back down and bolt of the bathroom. I don't want them starting without me. Throwing some cold water on my face, I quickly brush my teeth. Since beginning this anti-nausea medication yesterday, I'm no longer throwing up. Placing the little white pill on my tongue, I fill the glass with some water and swallow. Three a day help me control the vomiting. It's the only thing I hate about the pregnancy experience.

I skip makeup altogether, brush my hair, grab a light jacket off the chair, head for the lift, and step in; I hit the button for the ground and pull out my buzzing phone. I may be laughing, but my eyes widen. Raffaele is taking a leaf out of my book, sending me a picture of my naked self with the note. I need to enjoy these breasts of yours before they become a food source!

Shaking my head, I respond as I step out of the elevator. Me: Suck on them tonight and grind my nipples between your teeth. It makes me feverish.

Sliding on my shades, I jump into the Morelli car and send a quick text back to Kat. "I'm on my way."

Catching the driver's glimpse through the rear-view mirror, I smile and question, "Lei parla Inglese - do you speak English?"

"Si," he responds, "Better than most. I was born and raised in the states. Italian is more my second language."

"So, you're more than just a driver?!" I was under no illusion Raffaele would have me roaming alone, especially now, with my pregnancy knowledge. I prefer it when they are in the shadows; that way, I feel normal.

"I'm part of Tommy's crew. Massimo is the name." He announces, expressionist.

"Tommy's crew?" I repeat, letting out a sigh, "you're an assassin?" Fear claws at me. Two of them in the past proved to be traitors.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Morelli, Tommy has dealt with the two traitors. I am loyal to the Morelli's, and I'm here to ensure no harm comes to you."

Nodding, I evict the lump in the throat. Of course, the two have been dealt with. Raffaele wouldn't leave me in Massimo's hands if he weren't confident of his loyalty. "I appreciate it."

Glancing out the window, we are close to arriving at the café. I make a request, "Do you mind stopping here? I was hoping to walk through Via Giulia."

Slowing his speed, he parks the car and advises, "I will follow you, but keep my distance."

Thanking him, I open my door and step out. Via Giulia is one of the oldest streets in Rome. The sun is bright, and the beautiful fragrance of Italy surrounds me. The small stones laid out on the road, through the years, have become uneven, but it adds to the beauty. The tall buildings on either side are remarkable. The architecture is breathtaking. The narrow cobblestone lane is filled with glimmering vintage shop fronts, and I feel as if I have stepped back in time. My surroundings are full of culture, and it captures Rome's amazing history. This is what I'm in love with!