Chapter 16 - Asimina Alexiou

Asimina

Today is the day! I'm beaming with excitement, and my heart thunders with happiness. I put everyone through hell, made them believe I was dead. I can only imagine their suffering. My son is young. He won't understand any of this—he's not grieving. For him, it's I can't see mommy! No amount of apologizing is going to be enough. Oh God, I hope they understand. I'm expecting tears and for them to embrace me with relief. Once that subsides, I'm expecting nothing less than rage and resentment. I can picture Nat's furious face and Lia's anguished state. With those thoughts, the volcano within erupts aggressively, my body burns with rage, and it's all directed to those Di Vitto fuckers.

Taking a breath, I try to settle the extreme tremor in my hands. I'm terrified and furious! I've anticipated this moment, pictured it. I have rehearsed the words I want to say. Last night I suffered insomnia; my mind was racing with thoughts of today's events.

Sliding on my earrings, I look at myself in the mirror. I've skipped the lipstick for now. We still have an hour before we leave. I want the red to be vibrant, freshly applied. I have kept the rest of my makeup natural and not overdone. The last thing I want is mascara and eyeliner running when my tears breakthrough.

My hair in a tight ponytail, as per the request of one Mr. Morelli. He mentioned something along the lines of wanting to grab hold and tug while he bends me over. I tried to argue that everyone will want to talk, and emotions will be running wild. His response was eventually, regardless of the time, everyone will head to bed.

Smiling, I mumble to myself, "The Demon and Beast must be kept fed and satisfied."

Sliding on the dress that Raffaele brought over, I feel sexy. It's floor-length and red. The split is above mid-thigh, and it's tight around the waist. Securing the belt, I slide on my heels and throw my lipstick in my bag before walking out of the bedroom. With slow steps down the stairs, I'm cautious not to fall. The closer to the living area I get, I start to make out the conversation between Leon and Mark. They are going through tonight's details. The clicking of my heels has both men turning and staring.

Their eyes widen, and their mouths open, but they don't speak a single word. "Do I look that bad?" I question and break the awkward moment.

"You look good. Raf will be pleased." Mark responds.

"Yeah, what he said," Leon shakes his head, turning away.

Walking around, I take a seat in between the boys. A glass of bourbon and a plate of pasta is sitting on the coffee table. "Is this mine?"

"Yeah, eat up. I doubt you will get a chance to later." Leon avoids eye contact. Picking up the plate, I twirl the pasta on the folk and bring it to my mouth. I study the boys as I eat carefully, trying not to make a mess of myself.

"Leon, this is good," I spark conversation.

"It was the only class I enjoyed at Saint Mary's, and the only class a beating wasn't the punishment if you failed." He picks up his drink, sculling it, and refills the glass immediately after. Those memories haunt him.

Leon has led a more complicated life than all the other Capos. He has battled from a young age on his own, growing up with no parents; he was alone most of his life. Saint Mary's wasn't a loving home. He watched his closest friends lose their lives on assassination contracts they were forced to take. The Morelli's are the only ones who have treated him with respect and made him part of their family. His gratitude shines through his loyalty.

"How are you feeling about tonight?" Leon wavers my thoughts.

"Honestly, I feel every emotion you could feel," raising my glass, I take a drink.