The Saigu-Yumi

It was an idle afternoon in the cool glade they found while crossing the forest. Jaken went off to a nearby river just beyond the clearing to bathe the two-headed dragon. Kagome was setting up a temporary camp with the help of Rin who had offered to gather sticks for their campfire. Sesshomaru sat under one of the trees, watching them silently.

The two girls rested comfortably on the bed of grass. The miko hummed to herself as she braided the little girl's hair, completely immersed in the intricate process.

"This is a pretty weapon, Kagome-nee-san," Rin said as her small hands brushed the worn bow.

The older girl smiled softly. "It is, isn't it?"

When her braid was finished, Rin turned to her with big, curious eyes. "Jaken-sama told me this is a miko's weapon. Will you tell me about it?"

"This"—Kagome lifted the bow—"is called a Saigu-Yumi. It was made from a cherry birch tree that's why it's very durable in battles."

"Sugoi!"

Encouraged by Rin's enthusiasm, she picked up one fletched arrow and held it at eye level. "Even one hamaya is powerful in the hands of a miko. We can use our spiritual aura to blend with the arrow so it can purify an evil youkai. Like this."

Kagome took a deep breath and emptied her mind to concentrate her reiki into her left hand that was holding the arrow. Her palpable spiritual aura manifested itself into a blue light that started to envelop the hamaya. Rin let out an astonished gasp.

At that moment, Jaken returned with Ah-Un. His eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets when he saw the sacred arrow pulsing with power. He let out a strangled gasp, picked his Staff of Two Heads, and charged towards the miko. "Get away from Rin! I knew it! This is a trickery!"

"Calm down, Jaken-sama!" The child planted herself in front of Kagome protectively, her small arms outstretched. "She's just showing me her weapon!"

"Jaken," Sesshomaru called in a voice that immediately stopped the imp. His golden eyes were stern. "You will address Kagome as you would address me. Disrespect her and you disrespect me."

His retainer grew pale and threw himself on the ground. "Forgive me, milord! I was merely protecting the child!"

Kagome stood up and went over to the imp. She held out her hand, smiling gently. "I will never harm Rin, Jaken-sama. I know I'm a human and a miko, but I'm hoping to earn your trust someday."

"P-please forgive m-me," the imp stuttered, reticently taking her proffered hand and releasing it quickly. Mumbling incoherently, he retreated to where Ah-Un was.

Kagome sighed. It would take a while before she earned his favor. She picked up her bow and arrow and turned to Rin. "Do you want to watch me practice?"

The young girl nodded eagerly. Together, they walked towards the reserved daiyoukai who looked up upon their approach. Kagome bowed. "Sesshomaru-sama, may I take Rin with me to practice? We won't be far from here."

The daiyoukai appraised her with penetrating gaze. She felt his youki prod at her reiki with deep concern. "Your wounds are still healing."

"They don't hurt as much now, Sesshomaru-sama." Kagome paused, considering something. She ventured closer despite Sango's warnings about the proximity of a pack member to the alpha. "Besides, I really need to get back into shape. I have to practice my shots. Naraku might attack again and I have to be prepared."

The youkai lord rose to his feet in such a fluid, graceful motion that Kagome found herself gaping in admiration. Something in her reaction must have amused him because of the glint in his golden eyes.

It dawned on her a second too late that Sesshomaru was coming with them. He merely looked at her, waiting for her to lead the way. Swallowing the protest in her throat, she grasped Rin's hand and headed towards the wooded area beyond the glade.

Kagome scanned the place and noted the distance between the trees. There was a slight breeze shaking the branches covering the forest floor with scattered leaves. An idea formed in her head. She bent down to meet Rin's gaze.

"Why don't you go and get Jaken-sama and Ah-Un? You and Ah-Un can help me with practicing."

The child's eyes lit up upon hearing this and she scrambled back to the path they came from. Sesshomaru was not far. He was standing against a tree, arms folded, and his eyes trained on her.

She gave him a reassuring smile and assumed a shooting stance in the middle of the towering maples trees. Ah-Un appeared overhead with a giggling Rin who can't contain her excitement. Kagome calmly nocked an arrow to the bow.

Without moving, the miko called up to the girl above. "All right, Rin! Have Ah-Un shake the branches of the trees."

"Hai, Kagome-nee-san!"

As the two-headed dragon flitted from one tree to another, Kagome took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Her mind discarded all thoughts, slowly emptying it while her body attuned to the different energies swirling about her. Faintly, she could feel Ah-Un flitting from one tree to another, and she could hear the leaves swirling around her.

Senses tingling, she released the breath she'd been holding and began firing arrows in succession. Her injured shoulder hurt vaguely but the adrenalin coursing through her veins made her feel exhilarated.

When the last of the arrows were spent, Kagome stopped and gasped for air. Looking around, she let out a surprised but satisfied grunt. The trees were riddled with the hamaya, leaves caught on their iron tips.

Her brown eyes landed on Sesshomaru who was looking at her impassively. But underneath his cold, gold eyes, Kagome could detect a hint of pride. She beamed at him, her reiki reaching out to caress his youki. He reached back, the rough edges of his aura bristling around her spiritual energy.

She faltered when the feudal lord's molten orbs strayed to her Saigu-Yumi, alarm washing over his handsome features.

And then she heard it.

Snap.