Without Notice

The smell of roasted meat wafted to Kagome's nostrils and she woke with a start. She groaned as blinding light temporarily disoriented her. Yawning, she slowly rose from her sleeping bag and stretched her arms, sighing in satisfaction as several strained joints and muscles popped.

She was grateful for being allowed to sleep in after the stressful battle yesterday. After all, Inuyasha was satisfied because they found another jewel shard. That should keep him cheerful for the next few days.

She blinked the drowsiness away and scanned the camp. Inuyasha was turning three skinned rabbits in a spit while Miroku and Sango arranged the makeshift seats around the crackling fire. Shippo was playing with Kirara nearby.

Noting the absence of their new companions, Kagome frowned. "Where are Sesshomaru-sama and Rin? And even Jaken-sama?"

"They left before dawn," Inuyasha answered without looking at her.

Oh. Kagome fell silent. She mentally counted the days since the feudal lord joined their group. Five days. True to his word, as always.

The clearing felt empty without Rin's animated chatter. Or Jaken's constant complaining. Or Sesshomaru's quiet presence.

"Keh!" Inuyasha snorted. "Leave it to the smug bastard. I never expected him to stay longer anyway."

Kagome looked away. But I did.