Through the Looking Glass (never-before-seen chapter)

"Kagome, help me clean up," she called to her daughter when everyone exited the kitchen after dinner. The strange and silent feudal lord was very gracious despite being served a very simple meal of katsudon, miso ramen, and nikuman. She watched as Souta led the guest to the living room and animatedly talked about the wonders of the television. The man listened with keen interest, just as he had been with everything else that was new to him.

And yet...

Despite his impassive features, she could tell that his focus never left Kagome—he reacted to every single movement the girl made. She could also tell that her daughter was oblivious of the attention being showered upon her, either because of the pain from her injuries or her thoughts were somewhere else.

Something must have happened on the other side of the well.

"Kagome..." she began as they collected the dishes and placed them in the sink. "I know there's a reason why Inuyasha's brother is here instead of him. Do you want to tell me what happened?"

At the mention of the half-demon's name, the girl's hands visibly trembled. She leaned against the counter and stared at the floor. "We were in a fight and I was taken captive. Inuyasha"—she said the name with difficulty—"came to save me, but he was forced to make a choice..."

"...and it wasn't you," she gently finished for her daughter who was struggling to hold back tears.

Kagome nodded and sniffled. "Sesshomaru-sama arrived and took me away to be healed, then he went with me through the well."

She wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulder and pulled her close. "And if Inuyasha follows you here, would you want to talk to him?"

Kagome shook her head. "No, I'm... not ready yet."

"He can go through the well on his own, right?"

"Sesshomaru-sama won't let him."

Her mother smiled. The absolute certainty in Kagome's voice told her everything she needed to know.