Actions Don't Lie

Miroku was astonished. From his vantage point, he could clearly see what was happening around their camp. Two particular scenes caught his interest.

He had been aware of the heated glances exchanged by the half-brothers. It was a miracle they haven't drawn their swords and tried to kill each other yet. And the very reason for that, Miroku could only assume, was Kagome.

The miko in question was currently in the arms of Inuyasha after she had a little clumsy accident. The hanyou's rescue was expected. He was, after all, very protective of her. But the daiyoukai, well... that was definitely not expected.

When Kagome let out a shriek, everyone's attention was on her and Inuyasha. But Miroku's gaze was elsewhere. Sesshomaru had tensed up, as if he prepared to catch the miko as well. Perhaps it was just a reflex, but Miroku knew better. After all, his trade secret was knowing people. And knowing the daiyoukai, he didn't have a reflex to save any human, aside from his young ward.

So why did Sesshomaru instinctively tense up to prepare to break Kagome's fall? Did she not belong to the category of humans that he so utterly despised? What made her an exception? Was it because she had nursed his injuries and was simply returning the favor? Whatever the reason, Miroku knew something else was going on.

He risked another glance at the daiyoukai and nearly choked. Sesshomaru, the cold-blooded killing perfection, was smirking.

The murderous gleam in Sesshomaru's face did not bode well for Inuyasha who was still holding Kagome in his arms.