Misunderstanding

Miroku eyed Sango appreciatively when she returned from the hot spring. He caught a whiff of strawberry when she passed by his spot. Fierce crimson tainted her cheeks when she saw him smile and he can't help but chuckle. She's really endearing.

Rin, who returned with Sango, ran up to her lord and presented herself graciously before launching on a nonstop chatter about her new hair clip that Kagome had given her. The daiyoukai just nodded and he returned his attention to the direction of the hot spring.

"Oi, Sango, where's Kagome?" Inuyasha asked when the miko didn't return with them.

"She said she wanted to stay a bit longer."

"Keh! She likes hot springs too much," he grumbled irritably but made no move to leave his spot against a tree. Miroku continued to watch Sesshomaru who was still staring silently at the path where Sango and Rin had come from, his posture tense and his golden eyes alert. There was a strange gleam in those orbs, like a predator on the lookout. It made the monk uneasy, almost scared.

Suddenly, Sesshomaru growled and his eyes bled red. There was an astonishing amount of youki that was released and everyone attuned to danger sprang into defensive stances. When Miroku glanced at the youkai lord, he was gone.

And then they all heard Kagome's ear-piercing scream.

###

She wanted to kill herself.

Why did she not sense him much, much earlier? She wouldn't have to be in this embarrassing situation!

When she first felt the aura of the two Shikon shards, she had been dozing off and was unable to react quickly. It was too late when she had managed to scramble out of the hot spring. The wolf youkai's tornado was already hurtling towards her. So, unable to do anything else, she screamed.

Before Koga could reach her, however, a sheer amount of deadly youki blanketed the whole area. A thunderous roar that was felt more than heard filled the space between the wolf youkai and the miko. The force was so immense that it almost knocked Kagome back to the water, but she felt something warm and soft suddenly wrap itself around her body and pull her back.

It was Sesshomaru's tail.

Oh my God, I'm naked and his tail is covering all my private parts. Her cheeks reddened fiercely and her skin suddenly felt hot despite the chilly autumn breeze.

"Stay still, miko," Sesshomaru ordered icily, his blazing golden orbs slanting towards her just a fraction of a moment. They flickered back to the growling wolf youkai in front of them.

"How dare you come between me and my woman?" Koga snapped, his fangs bared and his body crouched like a predator about to pounce.

Kagome felt Sesshomaru stiffen but he did not lower his claws. Recovering from the shock, she gently tugged on the daiyoukai's empty sleeve for permission and she used it to cover her exposed body. His tail unwrapped itself from concealing her private parts as soon as the sleeve clung to her damp skin. However, the soft fluff of fur didn't let go of her waist and it pulled her directly behind Sesshomaru, effectively blocking Koga's view.

"Leave," he growled, and Kagome shivered at the sheer authority in his baritone voice.

Koga stepped forward, snarling. "Like I said, you're standing between me and my woman."

"She does not carry your scent," Sesshomaru stated smugly, making the wolf youkai huff in extreme irritation. Sesshomaru cracked his knuckles and a greenish light started to appear at the tip of his claws. His dokkaso. "Leave or die."

Kagome decided it was time to step in before anyone got hurt because of this misunderstanding. She peered around Sesshomaru's back, tightly clutching the silk sleeve around her body, and cleared her throat to get their attention. When the two youkai looked at her, she squirmed uneasily. "What are you doing here, Koga-kun?"

The ookami relaxed upon seeing her face, but his stance remained on the offense. "I caught your scent and decided to drop by, in case you started having doubts about my intentions."

Sesshomaru ignored him and looked at her coldly. "You know this filth?"

Before she could explain, Inuyasha and Sango burst out from the trees, tetsusaiga and hiraikotsu drawn. The hanyou scowled when he saw Koga but when he cast his attention towards the daiyoukai with a barely covered Kagome cowering behind him, he let out a threatening growl.

"Whaddya think you're doing, bastard?" he snarled, red-faced. He marched towards his half-brother, completely forgetting about the intruder.

"Inuyasha, wait!" Kagome screamed, clear panic in her wide brown eyes. "Sesshomaru-sama arrived just in time before Koga could... um, see me out of the water."

Upon hearing the name, Inuyasha swiveled and faced the wolf youkai. He bristled with fury and irritation as he pointed his sword to him. "You've got some nerve, hentai!"

"So what, mutt-face? Kagome will be my mate anyway!"

As the two argued, Sango slung back her weapon and hurried towards the shivering miko. She picked up the towel and the clothes that were resting on a nearby log before cautiously approaching the inu-youkai who was still standing protectively in front of Kagome. Seeing the items in her arms, he nodded his permission.

"Arigato, Sesshomaru-sama, for this," Kagome said sincerely. "May I change into my clothes while I'm behind you?"

The only response was another nod. Sango spread the towel and took up a position behind Kagome to provide another cover. While she dressed, her mind brewed several punishments for the intruding wolf youkai who interrupted her bathing.

No one, no one simply dared to interrupt Kagome while indulging herself in a hot spring. Miroku and Inuyasha learned that the hard way.

She will make sure Koga won't make that mistake again.