Baffled

Light was slipping through the cracks in the clouds as Inuyasha returned to the cave. His heart was beating in a frenzy. Kikyo and I just talked, he reminded himself but it did nothing to ease his nervousness. What would Kagome say this time?

As he trudged inside, bold accusation was evident in everyone's eyes. He flinched, half-expecting Kagome to osuwari him to the deepest pits of hell but to his surprise, she wasn't around.

"Oi, where's Kagome?" he asked to no one in particular.

"You've gone and done it this time, Inu-baka," Shippo said accusingly.

"Kagome-sama didn't return here ever since she left last night," Miroku added but stiffened as he looked past Inuyasha. Sango smiled grimly as she petted Kirara, and Shippo turned tail and hid behind Miroku.

He heard the heavy footsteps outside. He braced himself, knowing he deserved whatever punishment Kagome gave him this time. He held his breath as Kagome stepped inside, but she only glanced past him and instead went straight to Sango's side.

"Oi, K-Kagome..." he stuttered.

"Don't worry, Inuyasha. I'm not angry at you. You can relax."

Everyone in the cave gaped in astonishment at the coolness in Kagome's voice. She even smiled at him! Uncertain, Inuyasha crept forward and gently lifted her chin using his clawed finger. She met his gaze steadily.

"Are you sure?" he ventured.

But even as she nodded, Inuyasha's head clouded in confusion. With ears flat on his head, he retreated to a corner and silently watched her.

She smelled like Sesshomaru.

###

Jaken lay sprawled beside Ah-Un as watery eyes watched the small figure of Rin sleeping peacefully on the other side of the small clearing. He stood guard all night because his lord hadn't returned in the evening. Sun is rising already. Where did Sesshomaru-sama go?

As if on cue, the Western Lord strode into view. He quietly took a post at a nearby tree and closed his eyes.

"M-milord!" Jaken squawked, nearly falling over as he scrambled to his feet. "Shall I prepare breakfast now, milord?"

Like always, this went ignored. But even as Jaken added a few sticks to rekindle the camp fire, he could tell there was something different in the great inu-youkai. He stepped closer silently and carefully sniffed the air. His eyes widened.

Sesshomaru-sama smelled like the hanyou's miko.