Connection

His mother looked at him as if he had just proclaimed he was human. Then, her eyes swiveled towards Jaken and Rin, especially Rin.

"Have you decided to take this human child as your mate?" she inquired.

Sesshomaru looked at her sharply, his fangs slightly bared. "Your assumptions offend me, Mother."

"Words spread across our lands, Sesshomaru. The lords from our allied regions presume you keep the human child with the intention of making her your mate. Just like your father who took a human for a wife."

"I care not what the lords believe. Rin is but a child to me. Her role does not go beyond being a part of my pack. You would do well to remember that, Mother."

"Of course, dear!" She waved her hand dismissively and turned to a youkai servant standing by quietly. "Show the imp and the human child to their chambers. Take the dragon to the stables. Make sure they are well-fed and well-rested."

"Your generosity is boundless, milady!" Jaken exulted as they were swept away into the entrance of the castle.

The inukimi turned to Sesshomaru. "Well? If it is not the human child, who is this astounding creature that has attracted you so? Truthfully, Sesshomaru, I had despaired when you refused to rule in the West! I had begun to think all you ever intend to do with your life is to wander across the country slaying whatever infuriates you. What has she done so remarkable to change your mind?"

Sesshomaru chose to ignore this. He had something else in mind, something he wanted to confirm. "Is it possible for a woman to submit herself unknowingly to a potential mate?

She looked at him suspiciously. "You are not forcing—"

"I warned you of your outrageous assumptions," he growled in warning.

"Very well. Yes, it is possible. If her youki surrenders to your youki, no matter if it was done unintentionally, then you are bonded, connected. It is not as deep and as permanent as the mating mark, you must understand, but the submission is a vital part of the mating ritual."

"Hnn," Sesshomaru responded, quite pleased. His mind took him back to that rainy day in the clearing, when the miko—no, Kagome—was on the ground, despairing for the hanyou and his undead miko, heartbreakingly so. Sesshomaru had allowed his youki to comfort her then, and quite unexpectedly, her reiki had reached out.

It took a long time for him to realize that he had ceased reading Kagome's thoughts and feelings through her scent. Ever since their auras have connected, he had started to sense her through her reiki. She might not yet be aware that she can sense him too, but it was all right. Sesshomaru intended to court her properly, in his own proud inu way.

He looked at his mother expectantly.

"Come, my dear," the inukimi said, smiling as she led Sesshomaru inside. "The sky castle library has all the scrolls you need to learn about the inu-youkai mating ritual. If I should say so myself, your father has treated me with utmost respect and honor during our courtship. Our lineage is the last of the regal inu and our ways are more complex than the common inu pack. As it should be. Mating is not to be trifled with. Once it is done, you will not be able to take it back and nothing, not even death, will remove the mark. Moreover, your intended must be prepared for her new title—the Lady of the Western Lands. I could only hope, Sesshomaru, that for your sake, you have chosen a mate that would suit the title, and more importantly, yourself."

Sesshomaru smiled inwardly. Definitely, Mother. Kagome suits me. Perfectly so. In every possible way.