Chapter 34(EPILOGUE)

**4 Years Afterward**

Megan's POV

I sighed and straightened my shirt before smoothing down a couple strands of hair with my fingers as I stared at my solemn, pale face in the mirror. All dressed in black, I felt so cold and like I was just the shell of my body, not really me. I wanted to just lay in bed and cry, but for Chloe's sake I didn't, and forced myself to get up in time to get ready for the funeral.

I took baby steps out of my room and down the hall to Chloe's room to make sure she was dressed and her hair was combed. The poor girl had just been so excited from celebrating Christmas, having loads of new presents from the entire family, and now it was like someone came and took away Christmas forever, like the Grinch. Everyone had come over to our house this year, the guys and girls, Mom, Nick, and Connor, all bringing their things here and we all had one giant Christmas party together. There pictures upon pictures, not one face was not smiling in them, everybody was happy. Only a few days later would everything come crashing down around us.

I stopped in the doorframe of Chloe's room, leaning up against it. She sat sullenly on the other side of her bed, facing away from me, with her head down. Her long, dirty blonde hair fell upon her shoulders neatly. The front strands of her hair that normally would hang in her face were pulled back into a small ponytail while the rest of her hair stayed put down.

"Chlo?" Her head whipped around to look at me, her eyes were irritated looking and rather watery. They'd been like that all the time since she found out. For being an 8-year-old, she was very tough, you rarely ever saw her cry. So to see her crying now tore me apart because I was so used to her happy, smiling face that she had gotten from her father. She was rarely ever sad or down for more than an hour. Life to her was one big adventure, and the way she looked at it was why waste it being sad, when you could enjoy it being greatful for what you have and just be happy?

Moving around her bed and sitting next to her, I put my arm around her gently. "Are you ready to go?" I asked softly, and her big blue eyes saddened even more.

"Do we have to go?" She asked, her voice quiet and a little shaky.

I nodded sadly. "Mhmm."

Chloe sighed and said, "Then let's just get this over with." She stood up from the bed and disappeared out of the room, I heard her soft footsteps descending the stairs. I sighed myself, slowly following her trail out of the room.  They had been so close, and this just left Chloe so... obliterated. It was so sudden that when I told her, she just floated through the house for the rest of the night in a shocked state. She didn't shed a tear until when she went to bed, I could hear her crying herself to sleep. It was terrible, and it made the pain worse, as I was already halfway through to crying myself to sleep.

Instead of following her downstairs, I went down to the next bedroom, to check on James. He was only four, so he didn't quite understand what was going on, but he knew things weren't ever going to be the same. Poor little guy was so confused when I got the news, it's a wonder he didn't go completely insane on me because I couldn't figure out a way to tell him so he'd understand. He asked me for the past couple of days why Chloe was so sad. I wasn't quite sure what exactly to tell him. Sometimes he'd wander off into her room to try and make her feel better. He'd wrap his little arms around his sister and hug her tight, and Chloe could mostly find the strength to smile at him and hug him back. They weren't like most siblings. They didn't fight like most do, James didn't pester his sister, and Chloe didn't act as if she didn't want anything to do with him. They were the exact opposite of most siblings, they got along and looked out for each other. 

James was already dressed, I knew because I helped him some this morning because he couldn't figure out how to button up his shirt. It was very cute when I walked in there and he had this pouty look on his face because he couldn't button up his shirt.