Chapter 17~Finding Nicholas Cole

Over the next few days, and with a little help from the guys, we were able to get an address to where we thought Megan's brother might be. The best part was, he was only a couple counties over, and it wouldn't take that long for me to get there. I figured that I'd go while Megan was at the studio working on the upcoming album they'd been working so hard on, and I knew it would give me enough time. I'd be back in time before she came home. Kristina told me about Megan's younger sister, Amanda, who I remembered seeing at the bar. She was helping them set up and I'm pretty sure I saw her stay with the others when they decided to stay and party but Megan didn't. Kristina said that Amanda was in second grade when Nicholas disappeared, and doesn't remember much. The only thing she really does remember was feeling super confused once everyone found out, she was too young to understand what was going on. Sometimes she forgets she even has a brother, and I find that very sad. Everyone should know who their family is, even if they don't really know them or even get along with them. I can't imagine how I'd feel if someone I was close to in my family just up and disappeared out of thin air. I don't want to imagine it.

I drove in silence, focusing on what could happen when I got there. I knew that I was pretty much walking into something unknown, I mean, if this is him, who knows what kind of person he might be after all this time. There wasn't a whole lot of information out there on him after his disappearance, but we'd found small things like what he did for work, and of course, where he lived.

I parked on the otherside of the street across from this guy's house, and looked both ways before crossing the road. It was kind of cloudy and there were a few drops of rain as I made my way up his driveway and to the steps. There was a car in the driveway, and I hoped that meant somebody was home. I had my leather jacket zipped up tightly, my hand shoved in the pockets. I slowly took out a hand to ring the doorbell.

There was a pause, and I could hear a dog barking. A man was shouting for the dog to back off, and the barking ceased. Wow, well trained dog. The door swung open and I held my breath as he looked me over. You could see Megan in him, or maybe Nick in Megan, but they had the same eyes, hair, and facial features. I had this gut feeling that I'd found him.

"Holy shit, The Rev is standing on my doorstep." He grinned at me, and a nervous chuckle escaped from my throat. "Can I help you?" He asked casually.

I nodded and smiled slightly. "Yeah, uh, are you Nicholas Cole?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Yep, but you can call me Nick." He grinned again.

"Right, and you can call me Jimmy, by the way." I smiled back at him, and then blurted, "I think you're my girlfriend's brother." His eyes widened in shock, and he blinked at me blankly for a moment. I bit my lip and glanced around at the surroundings. After a moment of what seemed like deep thinking, he stepped aside to let me in.

"Come on in." Nick said quietly, motioning to me with his hand. I stepped in and followed him to his living room. His golden retriever stared at me with curiousity, and once I'd sat down he come over to sniff me. I chuckled and patted his head as a woman entered the room with a little boy on her hip.

"Nick? Who was at the door?" She asked, and then glanced over at me as she just noticed there was another person in the room. Her eyes widened with surprise, and I took it that she knew who  was too.

"Uh, Jimmy, this is my wife, Julianna, and our little boy, Connor." Nick said, and I smiled over at them warmly. Julianna came over to me and shook my hand, and I said hello to Connor. Once they'd gone out of the room, Nick turned to me.

"So you claim that I'm the brother of whoever your girlfriend is." It was more of a statement than a question. I nodded, and dug my wallet out of my back pocket to show him a picture of Megan.