Chapter 21~The Funeral

Megan’s POV

In a couple weeks, Nick was released from the hospital with only a few bruises and cuts, his broken bones had healed enough for him to walk around with casts. We had to hold the funeral until Nick could get out of the hospital, so that was today. Great way to celebrate getting out of the hospital, huh? Nothing quite beats going to your wife’s funeral. We had gotten Nick’s clothes for him, he was thinking about moving out of their old house, and finding a place close to the rest of us. He thought it would be best if Connor was closer and had easier access to other people that loved him, so he’d have others to help him get through this. I told him it might be better for him too, but I don’t think he was listening. He focused on making sure Connor was ok more than he focused on making sure he was ok. Connor remained sullen and distant, he hadn’t picked up his guitar at all, even when Zacky came and encouraged him to play. Normally he’d always take Zacky’s advice when it came to playing guitar, but Zacky said he got no reaction out of him at all.

I finished getting dressed and then went to go check on Connor to see if he was ready yet. He was sitting on the edge of his bed, his head hanging low. His hands were in his lap, and he stared down at his knees. I quietly walked in and sat down next to him, studying him. He was wearing a black button up and a red tie that Jimmy helped him with. His black pants were a tad longer than what they needed to be, and he wore a belt to keep them up.

“Hey, buddy. You ready to go?” I asked him quietly, and he sighed.

“Yeah, I guess.” He looked at me with his mother’s eyes, and I smiled sadly at him.

“I suppose the question I should’ve asked was, are you ok?” Connor hesitated and then looked back down at the floor, and shook his head. “I know you miss her, but she’s watching you and your daddy from heaven as your guardian angel.”

Connor looked up at me. “So, she’s not really gone?”

I smiled at him and said, “Absolutely not. She’s making sure we keep you and your father out of trouble.” I smirked at him, and I heard him giggle for the first time in two or three weeks. “Well, we better go so we’re not late.” I got up off the bed and outstretched my hand towards him, and he took it and I brought him downstairs.

Nick and Jimmy stood by the door, talking quietly about something. Nick turned his head to look at us, and Jimmy followed. Connor let go of my hand and made his way over to Nick, who picked him up.

“Did you know Mommy’s our guardian angel now?” Connor asked him, and Nick gave a small smile.

“Well, I guess she is, isn’t she?” He said, and Connor nodded happily. Nick glanced at me, and understanding passed between us before he took Connor out to the car to get him buckled in. Jimmy looked at me and then wrapped his arms around me.

“Even though you’re dressed for a funeral, you look beautiful today, just like everyday.” He said, and I giggled uncontrollably.

“Well, you don’t look too bad yourself, for a funeral goer."  I told him, and he chuckled.

The guys and girls were already there when we arrived, Michael, Henry and Amanda standing next to them. Julianna’s family stood just off to the left of them, it sucks that I have to meet them this way, I never did get the chance to meet her parents before she died. We had talked about it a couple times, but I never would’ve considered it’d be like this. Kristina and Amanda ran at me first, and the other followed. They hugged me and asked me how I was doing.

“How’s Connor?” Amanda asked, and I sighed.

“Well, he was really depressed and withdrawn, but I think I might’ve cheered him up just a little bit earlier today.” I shrugged, and I felt Jimmy’s hands on my shoulders.