Figure It Out

July 2026

Natalia's POV:

"Nat?" Leon knocked on my door. "I'm running out real quick." He opened the door and looked inside. "Have a few errands. Are you going to be ok by yourself?"

"I'll be fine." I stared at the ceiling.

"If you need anything while I'm out, just text me." 

I looked at him. "Thanks big brother." I smiled.

He walked over and kissed my forehead. "Love you, pain in my ass."

I laughed. He left and I sighed. 

I looked down at my phone that was vibrating. 

Mariana

I smiled and answered it. "Hey, Mrs. neck tattoo." She laughed. 

"Hey, Nat. What's going on?"

"Oh, you know. Just laying here wondering how all of this changed."

"Still nothing from Daan?"

"Nope." I sighed. "I got back to the hotel room and she was just gone."

"Nat, I'm sorry. I'll track her ass down right now. Say the word."

I laughed. "Mariana, don't you have a honeymoon to enjoy?"

"We're back in Portugal." She sighed. "I got called in by my agent. Remember how I told you Ponta Delgada has a team now?"

"Yeah? Santa Clara right?"

"Right. They've been contacting my agent nonstop about wanting to sign me. I've turned down 3 offers already but they won't stop."

"What does Mapi think?"

"She doesn't know." She sighed. "I thought I'd turn down the offer and that would be the end of it. Preseason starts in 3 weeks. This needs to be over before then."

"Right preseason."

"Daan really isn't going back to Real Sociedad this season?"

"She let her contract run out. No idea where she'll be playing. All I know is she left me in Barcelona and never even called or texted."

"She really doesn't want kids?" Mariana asked.

"She doesn't want kids, she doesn't want to get married." I rubbed my forehead. "She wants none of it."

"And what do you want, Nat?"

"I love Daan. I want to be with her for the rest of my life. But all I've wanted since I was younger was to have kids. To be a better parent than my father. Be like my mother." I smiled. "And if she doesn't want those things, then that's fine. But she waited, Mariana. She listened to me talk about getting married and having kids! And not once thought maybe I should tell her I don't want that. But she didn't. She waited for 3 years." I shook my head. "Now she's gone."

"We'll find her." Mariana said. "And we'll kick her ass."

"Mari." I laughed.

"No one hurts my best friend and gets away with it."

"I thought Vir was your best friend?"

"Well, kind of but she's also family now. And she can take care of herself."

"So can I! And I have 2 siblings ready to kick some ass at my request."

"Put me down on that list too." I laughed. "I gotta go, Nat. My agent is calling." She sighed.

"Thanks for calling me, Mari. Talk to Mapi about this, please. Before it gets out of hand."

"I will. Call me if you need me."

I said bye and hung up. 

All I need is Daan to call.

Daniëlle's POV:

"I don't even know what I'd say." 

"How about, sorry for running off like an idiot." Jackie smirked. 

"You're not helping."

"You don't deserve help! You left without any explanation!"

I closed my eyes. "I panicked ok? She was really upset."

"Because you upset her. This all goes back to the decision YOU made, Daan. What did you expect her to do? Jump up and down and hug you?" I sat up. "I don't see how you fix this." She shook her head. "If you even can." 

I looked down. "I don't think there's anything to fix." I looked at her. "She wants things that I don't. I'm not going to prevent her from having that life. I can't do that to her. I love her too much." 

August 2026 

Natalia's POV:

"Breaking news out of Barcelona. The club has announced that star striker, Mariana dos Santos Mendes will not play for the club this season. The Portuguese captain has been loaned out to new Portuguese club, C.D. Santa Clara. It is unclear is this loan was requested by Mendes, but she has not commented. They have confirmed she will suit up for Barcelona's final preseason match against Real Sociedad who will be without Natalia Garcia who is recovering from a minor ankle injury." 

I heard a knock on the door. I sighed and got up. When I opened it I wasn't expecting to see,

"Daan." I stood there. 

"Can I come in? Please."

I nodded and let her in. "What are you doing here?"

"I want to talk to you." She played with her hands. "Nat I love you." She said. "And I want to give you everything you want in life, but I can't give you these specific things. I know I waited, and I'm sorry. I thought that as time went on, I'd want marriage and kids, but I don't. And you deserve to be happy, Nat. To have what you want. You'll be a great mother."

"What does this mean, Daan?"

"I don't know." She looked down. "I thought I'd figure it out before I saw you. I don't want to lose you, Nat. I really don't. I love you."

"Stay with me. For a few days so we can figure this out TOGETHER." 

She nodded. "Ok. I heard Mariana is leaving Barca."

"Only for a season." We sat on the couch. 

"Mapi's going to do something stupid." She smirked. "It's in her DNA."

"You must have the same DNA as Mapi then."