Because of Me

March 2021

Natalia's POV:

"Back in Portugal for the Algarve Cup!" Aurora said.

I smiled. "You're so excited about this."

"I got a good feeling." She smiled. "You're playing great. I'm playing great! Lisa's," We turned to our youngest friend. "here. Lisa is here."

"Hey." Lisa pouted.

"She's kidding Lisa." I said. "You're great." I turned to Aurora. "Be nice."

"She's all old now. Thinks she's our mother." 

"I'm not old."

"You're pushing 30." Lisa laughed. I glared at her. "Which is super young. You newborn baby."

I smirked. "Hey. I know them." I walked toward the group. "Mariana!" I yelled. 

She turned. "Natalia!" She ran over and hugged me. "My favorite Italian! How are you?"

"I'm doing good."

"I heard about your loan to Fiorentina. I thought you were at Arsenal?"

"We haven't talked in a while."

"We'll have to catch up at some point." She said. "We're heading to practice now."

"We're just leaving." I said. 

"How about we meet up after? I'll message you on Instagram?"

"Ok." I nodded. "I'll see you then."

She walked away with her teammates and I turned to Lisa and Aurora. "You bilingual pain in my-"

"She speaks three languages." Lisa cut her off.

"Oh. Of course. How could I FORGET!"

Daniëlle's POV:

"After another hat trick with Fiorentina, Natalia DeLuca looks to lead Italy to Algarve Cup glory. With the Euros this summer, Italy wants to remind everyone of how dominate they are."

"The World Cup was a big success for us. We want to build off that especially with the Euros this summer." She said through a translator.

"Italy will rely on Cristiana Girelli in the attack, but don't be surprised to see Aurora Galli and DeLuca getting on the score sheet."

"You're torturing yourself." Lieke sighed. I turned the TV off and turned to her. "Just attempt you like her and get it together."

I rolled my eyes. "No."

"No, you don't like her or no you won't admit it." 

"I hate you."

"We're not talking about me, but I love you too, Daan." She patted my head.

Natalia's POV:

I met up with Mariana after she finished practice.

"So why did you leave Arsenal?" I told her everything that happened with Alex, with Daniëlle. "Do you like Daniëlle?" She looked at me.

"I don't know." I sighed. "I don't think I do?" Mariana raised her eyebrows. "I can't like her! She's with Beth!"

"You can still like her."

"Have you ever liked someone who was with someone else?"

"Yeah." She sighed. "In 2019 I saw Mapi Leon for the first time, and she took my breath away. Everyone told me she had a girlfriend but I didn't know for sure. I played against her last year in this tournament and we've been talking ever since. Still don't know if she ever had a girlfriend but now look where I am." 

"You two aren't dating though."

"Yeah, I know." She laughed. "She has a girlfriend now, but who knows what will happen?"

"She really likes Beth." I sighed. "What do I do? My loan is going to end at some point and I'll have to go back."

"Come play in Portugal with me."

"No." She laughed. "No offense but no. How are things with you and Mapi though? You're talking but you clearly like her."

"We've talked about that. Again though, still not together."

"So if you and Mapi aren't together, what hope do I have for Daniëlle?"

Daniëlle's POV:

I was back at home after the international break. By home I meant London.

I was here more than I was in the Netherlands.

"Barcelona are set for another Champions League final this season after beating Sporting CP in the semis. It's only going to get worse here for Sporting as striker Mariana Dos Santos Mendes has signed with American club, Utah Royals FC. Mendes has said she looks forward to a new challenge in a new country. Mariana will play her final game in a Sporting kit this weekend and is expected to join Utah in time for their home opener against Chicago."

"What you watching?" Beth sat next to me. 

"Just this show. Looks like that Portuguese player is heading to America." I lowered the volume. "What do you want to do today?"

"Relax." I smiled. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Anything." 

"Natalia. What happened with her? I thought she liked playing with us?"

I sighed and looked at Beth. "She did. She still does."

"Then why did she leave?"

"Honestly?" Beth nodded. "She left because of me."

Will Natalia and Daan ever happen?!

What about Beth!?!

Mariana and Natalia are basically best friends at this point!

Don't expect to see Natalia appear in Mariana's story though! She will at some point but it would be spoilers because that storyline is currently in 2026 and this one is in 2021.