So Quickly

June 2022

Daniëlle's POV:

I sat on the couch and stared at the wall. How did it all change so quickly? 

"We should talk later." Beth said.

"About?"

"Stuff." We walked toward Mapi and Mariana.

"I don't like the sound of that."

"You don't like the sound of anything."

How did it all change so quickly? 

March 2022

"Well?" I sat next to Beth. 

"You like Natalia."

"What? No, I don't."

"Daan." She sighed and looked at me. "I'm not blind. I'm not deaf either." She shook her head. "This was just a rebound for you?'

"No. Beth it wasn't."

"Then what is this?" She motioned between us. "Tell me the truth right now."

I sighed and nodded. "When I first saw her, yes I did like her. Then we started to talk and I found out about Alex. She was still a good friend but I wanted to move on and focus on my life. That's what I did, till she came here. All I wanted was to be a good teammate, make her feel welcome, but those feelings they came back. Alex was still in the picture though."

Beth looked away.

"Everyone told me that you liked me and I couldn't believe it." I smiled. "You, Beth Mead liking me." I laughed. "So I asked you out and it's been incredible, Beth. YOU are incredible."

"Who knows that you like Natalia?"

"I don't know."

"Daan."

"A few people."

"Does she know?"

"I don't think so. We haven't talked since the Euros."

"The Euros."

"After the game ended I went to talk to her. Congratulate her on the win and everything. And ask about the injury since she did get hurt defending me." I told her about the conversation.

"If she didn't tell you to come back to me, would you have stayed with her?" Beth avoiding my eyes. "Did I even cross your mind the whole time you were talking to her? Or did you finally remember me when she brought me up?"

"Beth."

"I did time." She stood up. "And I think you really need to sit and think about what you want. You played me for this long. I was friends with her and the whole time you wanted her!" She walked toward the door then turned back. "When you went to France with Viv. Did you go as Nat's friend or did you go because you love her?"

"I don't love her."

"Stop lying to me. Stop lying to yourself. You love her." 

I looked down. "I don't know how I feel." I mumbled. "She's pushed me away."

"Because she didn't want me to get hurt. Something you didn't think about."

"I did think about that!"

"When? Before or after you asked her to come back to England and be with you? Daan I don't care that you love someone else. I want you to be happy and if being with Natalia is going to make you happy then who am I to stop that. What hurts me is that you were so prepared to throw me away like I was nothing to be with her. And the only thing that brought you back was Natalia saying no. That's the only reason you're still here. BECAUSE she kept pushing you away. She didn't want you, so you settled for me. And I let you." She scoffed. "We're done, Daan. I'm done." She walked out and I sat there.

June 2022

I lost everything. 

Natalia's POV:

"You should come play in America." My sister said.

"No." I laughed. "I'll pass."

"Yeah don't do it." Mariana said. "It's bad."

"How many times have they fined you?"

"Just got the 2nd one." She shook her head. "I'm done with this."

"It's all going to work out, Mariana." I patted her back. "Trust me."

"What about you?" 

"What about me?"

"Your loan with Fiorentina is up. Are you going back to Arsenal?"

I sighed. "I don't know. If I want to join Real Sociedad next season, I can. But this coming season? I don't know. I think I'm going back to Arsenal."

"You don't want to?" I shook my head. "Why?"

"You know why, Mari. Don't make me say it." 

"You haven't talked to or seen her in a year, Nat. Don't you think it's time?"

"No." I shook my head. "I can't."

She looked at my sister. "I think I see one of my classmates. I'll be over there." Carmen ran off. 

Mariana turned to me. "What are you so afraid of?" I looked away. "Not every relationship is going to be like the one you had with Alex, you know that right? And Daan." I caught my breath. "Daan loves you."

"No, she doesn't."

"Yes, she does." She scoffed. "Are you really that blind? You can't see that she is in love with you."

I looked at her. "She's with Beth. I'm not going to ruin that."

"Beth broke up with her." She sighed. "I don't know what happened, I just know that Daan isn't in a relationship anymore."

"Ok. And that's another reason. I can't do that to Beth. I'm not going to try anything with Daan. I can't hurt Beth like that." I shook my head. "I didn't want any of this." 

"I know."

"No, you don't. Mariana, you met Mapi and a year later you guys were dating! You've been happily together for over a year now and everything is perfect for you two! I was in a verbally abusive relationship, now I'm caught in the middle of relationship drama between two people who could possibly be my teammates again in a few months. So no, Mariana. You don't get it." 

"Have you thought about therapy?"

"For what?"

"Really? Are you that stupid."

"I didn't invite you along to be bullied."

"I'm not trying to bully you, Nat. Believe it or not, people who aren't related to you care about you. And as your friend I want you to be ago. If you don't want to talk to me, talk to someone. Please."

I sighed. "Fine. When I go back home. Wherever home is." 

Daniëlle and Beth broke up! What will happen now?