XII

Seoyoung's POV 

"I... Took care of some business," Taehyung starts. I nod, urging him on. "And... Made a deal."

"What kind of deal?" I ask. Sighing, Taehyung places his fork down as he rubs his hands together. Of course, another habit he had back then when he didn't want to do something. 

"Look, I think it's best if you don't know-"

"But I want to know. Don't you think I deserve to know what you did in ten years of absence? Ten years, you left me in the dark. I thought you were dead!" I said, furious, but also hurt, remembering all those agonizing nights spent worrying over something useless. 

"Okay, well, at that time my father still had power over Nightingale. His biggest rival at the time was The Order, or now known as Chambers after his daughter, Jeong Eunah took over. Nightingale was still superior to The Order, so in order to make peace with us, we were to make a treaty through wedlock," Taehyung explained, absently tapping his fingers together. I could already guess what was coming. 

"So you married Eunah," I said, but Taehyung shook his head. 

"No, not quite. I never actually married her, it was just an idea on the table. Lucky for me, my father actually cared for my opinion, and he knew someone was already in my heart." At those words, he looked up to me. "So, he struck down the treaty and continued to plan ways to take them down, but The Order wasn't going to let go. Turns out wedlock was also Eunah's request. She apparently had been eyeing me for a while, and so, she stalked me, eventually finding my weakness." He takes my hand in his, gently rubbing it. 

"Those people that tried to abduct me that night... They were sent from Chambers?" Taehyung nods, still holding my hand. 

"I had to do something. Just because they didn't succeed the first time, didn't mean they wouldn't try again. Knowing how cunning Eunah is, I knew she wouldn't stop until she had me in her clutches so, in advance, I decided to do just that, but on my own terms. I agreed to marry her, under the condition she leaves you alone. That's why I disappeared. She forbade me from seeing you because if I did, it'd break the agreement. That's why I begged my father to step down and let me inherit Nightingale early. He saw how I managed to do all this on my own and was confident in handing it over to me. As soon as that happened, I severed all ties with her."

"But why? How would you know she wouldn't come after me?" Taehyung smiled. 

"Well, I had power. She knew to mess with the leader of Nightingale was a big no-no."

"But you're the son of Nightingale. Shouldn't that have counted for something?" But Taehyung shakes his head. 

"No. I was actually seen as a weakness, a target. Every crime lord's biggest weakness is their children. What do you think a parent wouldn't agree to if their child was in the enemy's clutches?" Taehyung explains. Seeing reason, I nod. 

"Okay, so you severed all ties with her. What'd Eunah do?" Taehyung shrugs. 

"Well, I can assume she was angry, but I never gave it much thought. That's when I was set on finding you again. All this had happened in the span of ten years. Of course, there were many more complications in between, but that's generally what happened. After you graduated, it was hard to find where you'd go. It was actually lucky that your friend caught our attention because that's when I found you."

"That's what was 'interesting', wasn't it?" Taehyung nods, smirking. 

"You know, I wouldn't just marry anyone with a pretty face." 

I scoff, pulling my hand away saying, "I thought you were one of those kinky pervs who liked putting people in abusive relationships!" 

Taehyung's smirk darkens, as he whispers, "I never said I wasn't." My eyes widen at his words. 

"Yah! Yah! Disgusting- Perverted- Little- Bitch-" I said, getting up and smacking his arm in between each word. Taehyung merely laughs as he dodges my attempts. "But seriously, you were so scary at first," I said after I had settled down.

"Hm? Really? Wow, I really am quite the actor." Again, I was shocked by his words. 

"What do you mean 'quite the actor?'" I say, bewildered. Taehyung shrugs, taking a sip of his wine. 

"Well after the whole Hyeri incident, Jimin came up with the whole 'tough guy' act to avoid another situation. I thought it was a good idea until I saw how much it really affected you." But I had stopped listening. 

"Tae, who's Hyeri?" 

Don't forget to vote and follow!