thirty

[i don't mean to start with an authors note, but I thank y'all for still reading :)]

Charli's POV

I looked down at the notebook in front of me, tapping my pencil. I groaned before petting Marty, leaning back on the barstool.

'I hate school, Buck. Have I told ya that?' He chuckled.

'That's the third time this hour, kiddo.' I rolled my eyes before picking up my notebook and throwing it across the room. Dallas looked over at me and laughed before picking it up and bringing it over to me. He placed it back in front of me before pointing at it.

'Study.'

'Why?'

'It's your last test of 1966, Babycakes. You can't flunk it.' I sighed.

'Not like it matters. I'm dropping out soon anyway.'

'No!'

'No!' Buck and Dally proclaimed at the same time, making me jump slightly. 'You're not dropping out, babycakes.'

'Why not?'

'There ain't nothin' worse than doin' nothin'.' I looked at him confused. 'Now study.'

'But I need to go get something from the store.' Dallas rolled his eyes before stepping away.

'As soon as you get back, you're studying, ok?' I sighed.

'Fine. You're acting like a dad.' He winked before heading behind the bar. I made my way to the door, waving at Buck before leaving. I entered my car, driving straight to the Curtis house. I arrived quickly, entering the noisy house.

'Heya, Charli. How's it going?'

'Good. Is Pony in?' Soda shook his head.

'Angelina got back from nationals a few hours ago, so he's with her.' I cursed under my breath. 'Why'd ya need him?'

'I need help deciding what to get Dal for his birthday. Have you got any ideas?' Soda shrugged.

'We normally just get him cigarettes and give him cash. Usually, he's pretty happy with a broad on his birthday.' I hummed slightly.

'Can ya think of anything else he'd want? It's gotta stand out.' Sodapop thought for a moment before replying.

'I can't think of anything. Sorry, CC.' I sighed before looking out the window, an idea coming to mind. I patted my pockets, feeling my mother's credit card before smirking.

'Hey SP, you wanna come with? You might have to drive a car back.' He looked at me and laughed.

'Alrighty. Let's go.'

The drive to the car dealership was short, with Sodapop talking me through the best options.

'-And then there's the Falcon-'

'Soda! Just tell me what one Dallas would like more.' He smirked.

'I'd say the convertible Pontiac Bonneville. It's a good-looking car with an amazingly smooth road feel.' I laughed.

'Bonneville it is.' We pulled up, Sodapop looking out the window like a kid in a candy store. 'We going? Or are you just gonna drool in my car?' We both got out, walking up to the salesman and explaining what we wanted. The transaction was easy, with Sodapop doing most of the talking. The salesman passed us the keys after signing a bunch of paperwork, Soda and I smirking at each other. (I know that buying cars is a lot harder than this, but-) 'Soda, drive it carefully, yeah?' He smirked as I passed him the keys.