twenty

Charli's POV

'See you tonight, SP.' He smiled before leaving the back seat, walking into the DX. 'So, boys, do y'all want some pancakes before school?' They both smirked as Johnny nodded. I drove towards the Dingo, which earnt rising excitement from the boys each time the car stopped at a stop sign. As we pulled in, all three of us quickly got out of the car.

'Lucky Darry gave me some money.' I chuckled at Pony's comment as we sat in a booth.

'You're lucky we're on the way to school.' A waiter walked over to us.

'What can I get y'all?'

'Could we get three lots of pancakes?' I smirked while looking at Johnny. He stared at the waiter after ordering with awe in his eyes. The waiter nodded and smirked at Johnny before walking toward the kitchen. I looked over at Pony and smirked, knowing we both had seen the interaction between Johnny and the waiter. 'What?' I looked at Johnny as he looked back innocently.

'Nothin'.' Pony and I both smirked again. The waiter from earlier came over, slightly flustered.

'I am so sorry but I forgot to take y'all orders for drinks.' The anxiety in his voice increased as he spoke. 'Please don't tell my boss. One more complaint and I'm gonna get fired.' Johnny smiled at the waiter, whose name tag read Eric.

'It's okay. We'll just have a glass of water each.' The waiter relaxed after Ponyboy's answer.

'Okay. Do y'all need anything else?' I shook my head. 'Alright. I'll bring the water out with the pancakes.' He walked away, his red flustered cheeks now a pale peach color. I made eye contact with Johnny as his smile slightly faded.

'You're smilin' a whole lot today.' He hesitated, obviously thinking of a reason before answering.

'Just excited for school.' I laughed. 

'About that. We're probably going to be late.' The two boys shrugged as the waiter walked over with a tray of drinks and three plates of pancakes. He placed them on the table, with a smile on his face.

'Is that all you'll be getting?' His precise grammar made me smile.

'Uh, yeah.' Ponyboy answered for the table.

'Okay. That'll be 4 dollars.' I went to grab my purse, but immediately stopped when Johny handed the boy a 5 dollar note, smiling. 'Thanks. I hope you three enjoy your meal.' With that, he was gone again into the kitchen.

'He seemed nice.' I smiled at Johnny's comment before I began to eat the pancakes. They were the dryest pancakes I'd ever eaten, so I was glad I had the water. I was onto the third and final pancake when I couldn't eat anymore. I slid the plate into the middle of the table and smiled. The two boys at the table were already finished.

'Ready to go to school?' They both groaned cheekily before we all stood up. We waved to Eric on the way out, driving to school as slowly as possible. As we pulled into the parking lot, the only spare place was between a wall and a beat-up Volkswagen Beetle. The boys got out of the car, rolling their eyes. I hopped out, ensuring I locked the door.

'Ready for math, Charli?' I groaned.

'You know I'm not, Pony.' Johnny laughed before sitting on the hood of the car. 'You coming in, JC?'

'Nah. I'll probably wait until the next class.' I nodded.

'Look out for yourself, Johnnycakes.' Pony and I made our way to the dreaded math class. As we entered, the teacher rolled her eyes.

'Nice of you two to join us. Take a seat.' We both turned toward the back of the classroom. In our usual seats, a new girl now sat. I sighed as I sat in the middle of the classroom, between Pony and a Soc, instead of Pony and the window. As the teacher began to rant, Pony began to talk to the new girl.