Chapter 43 - Nerves

Sam lugged the large duffle bag from her room with her backpack slung over one shoulder full of books and study material. The backpack flopped onto the cushion as she set the duffle bag at the end of the couch. Dana looked up from her textbook and smirked.

"What?"

Laying the book over her lap Dana asked, "You really think you're gonna study Sam?"

Sam began to gather her hair up in a ponytail. "Well, it's not like we haven't spent nights together. I study and do homework all the time at Faith's."

"Okay. Fair enough. You do realize that this weekend is more than staying a night, right? It's a weekend get-away Sam... and over Valentine's Day. I hardly think you'll be cracking a book until you get back. Just sayin." Dana picked up her book again and continued reading. Thirty seconds later, from behind her book she continued, "If it were me, I'd leave the backpack at home. Less to carry." She lowered the book enough to quickly peer over the top and resume her reading. "I mean... That bag looks heavy enough. You know it's only two nights yeah?"

Sam scooped up her backpack by one shoulder strap and tromped into her room saying, "Well, I didn't know how to pack!" She continued from her room, "If I knew where we were going, I would have packed more precisely."

Dana grinned from behind her book as Sam returned without her backpack. Before long Sam heard a mumble from the book. "Being Valentine's Weekend, I'd just pack a toothbrush and some mascara cause I'm not sure I'd be wearing anything else, know what I mean."

"Oh shit! My toothbrush."

Sam returned from the bathroom with her toothbrush and toothpaste and tossed them in her bag. "Don't think I missed that comment by the way." She checked the time on her phone and proceeded to jiggle her foot up and down.

Before long, Dana closed her book. "Oh my God!"

"What?"

"You're nervous." Dana declared.

Sam stood and walked into the kitchen for a can of coke. "I'm not nervous. I'm just anxious to go." The crisp crack of the pop top snapped through the apartment followed by an echoed silence. Sam sat on the end of the couch and checked the time once again. While setting her phone back on the coffee table she looked to find Dana with her hands clasped on top of her book, head tipped to the side and one eyebrow raised.

"Okay, so I am a little nervous." She took a big swallow of the soda and continued, "I don't know why really."

"Maybe because this is more than going over for a few nights or staying at your parent's. This is a 'Romantic' get-away." Dana finger quoted.

"Yeah, maybe. I do kinda feel like it's a first date."

Butterflies continued to flutter inside Sam's stomach, her hands fidgety, palms sweating.

"You're leveling up." Dana informed.

"Huh?"

"You know, like a video game. You're entering a new level. You've been used the layout and 'how to play' so to speak. This is something new."

"Wow Dayne! I think you're right." Sam accepted.

"Now that makes two of us."

"Funny."

Just as Dana said, "Right." Sam's phone sounded off. Sam tapped open her phone and read the text.

"Aw. She's here." Sam grabbed her bag gave a peck on the cheek and while shutting the door behind her said, "Have a good weekend. Good luck with the thingy tomorrow. Love you."