Chapter 3 - Avoidance

"Rise and shine pumkin." Dana sang as she pulled back the covers

"Uhhhh. Too much light." Samantha whined grabbing the blanket and pulling it over her head.

"Sam. It's almost one o'clock hon. Time to face the day. You can't just stay in here all day." Dana said sounding more like a parent than a roommate.

"Yes I can...watch..." Samantha argued rolling over toward the wall.

Dana flopped on the bed and put her arm around Samantha.  "Sam...umm...about last night..."

"I'm not ready to talk about it." Samantha retorted as she brought her knees up to make an 'S' with her body. She pulled the covers up around her neck as to protect herself. She let out a deep labored sigh.

"OK...umm...fair enough. I'd like to say with that...I could just let you be sweetie...but..."

"Dayn, I'm just not up to ..."

"Oh. No Sam. It's not that. Umm...well. You see...," Dana whispered into the covers, "Kevin's here. He wants to talk to you. He's worried about you. We text last night...well, this morning really...but He told me about last night."

"I just...can't. Not right now." Samantha whispered.

Tears streamed down her face wetting her pillow.

Dana patted Samantha's shoulder, "OK Sam." Dana reassured her. She rolled off the bed and walked out of the room shutting the door behind her.

Kevin stood from the couch as Dana came out of the room. Dana continued to hold the doorknob and gave Kevin a look that you see on a Doctor's face when they have bad news to share with a patient's family. Kevin let out a sigh and flopped back onto the couch.

"Sorry Kev," Dana said sitting on the couch next to Kevin. "She didn't want to talk to me about it either."

Dana liked Kevin. Sam and he had been friends since the beginning of their Freshman year. He treated Sam well. She seemed comfortable with him. He really seemed to care a lot about Samantha. Dana let Sam know when she didn't like someone that she dated. Until Kevin, it appeared to be most of the guys that wanted to date  Samantha.

Now...Sam and Dana...they met as roommates from the very beginning. During Freshman year, if you don't have someone to choose as your roommate, they ask you to fill out a survey and match you the best they can to a total stranger. Even though Dana and Samantha had different interests and Majors, they were well matched as roommates. They both were somewhat OCD about keeping things tidy. They both equally hated mornings. They were both spontaneous and loved Romantic Comedies. They were both involved with sports. Sam was a runner and was on the Track team and Dana played Volleyball.

Kevin got up and grabbed his jacket. He walked to the door, turned to Dana and said, "When she is up to talking, tell her to call me OK?"

"Sure thing Kev." Dana replied walking to the door. Dana locked the door behind Kevin, went back to the couch, sat down and grabbed her purse. She fumbled inside it until she found what she was looking for.  She unfolded the cocktail napkin and looked at the number:

     Faith Matthews
     Cahoots Bar and Grill
     2525 University Ave.

Dana pulled her cell from her pocket and dialed the number. It rang two times, then she heard a voice...

"Cahoots, how may I help you?" Spoke a masculine sounding woman's voice.

"Umm. Yes. May I speak with Ms. Matthews please?" Dana requested.

"Sure thing. Just a moment." the voice replied.

Dana could hear the woman put down the phone and not quite yell, but projected her voice... "Hey Boss, there's someone on the phone asking to speak to ..." the woman cleared her throat... "A Miss Matthews." The woman continued sarcastically.   Dana waited another minute before she heard the familiar voice from last night.

"Hello, this is Faith Matthews."

"Hi... umm...this is Dana from the bar last night.  I'm the one who..."

"Oh, yes I remember you...ahh...Dana is it?" Faith asked.

"Yes, that's right." Dana confirmed.

"I was hoping you'd call. I was going to give it the weekend, then come to Eddie's and hunt you down." Faith said.  "I would love for you to come down to the Club and talk sometime soon if that works for you?"

"Well, Ms. Matthews..."

"Faith...Ms. Matthews makes me sound like a school teacher." Faith said cutting Dana off.

"Ok...umm...Faith. I work today at Eddie's at 6 o'clock and I'm off tomorrow if either of those works for you?"

"How bout you stop in at 4 o'clock today before you go to work?"

"Sounds good. See you then later today." Dana confirmed.

"Right. Bye for now then." Faith said before ending the call.

Before Dana left to meet Faith at Cahoots, she knocked on Samantha's door.

"Sam...can I come in?"

"Yeah." came a soft voice from inside the room.

Dana opened the door to find Samantha reading her Sociology Book.

Dana walked over to Samantha's bed and sat a plate of food down next to Samantha.  "Mmmm. A little light reading?"

Samanths sat up and crossed her legs into a pretzel. She picked at her fingernails. "Thanks Dayn...look...I'm..."

"What? Human?" Dana reassured.  "I'm just glad to see you up. But seriously, you're gonna need to get ahold of Kevin soon....and...umm...maybe brush your teeth.... 
Well, got to go."

"Where? You don't work till 6:00." Samantha asked covering her mouth with her hand.

"Have to tell ya later...don't want to be late." Dana replied as she exited Sam's room.

"Late for what?" Samantha yelled from her bed.

"Tell ya when I get home." Dana shouted back as she grabbed her keys and headed out the door.