Chapter 13 - Scenery

Faith approached Sam holding the helmet like someone holding a baby for the first time. Sam smiled at Faith and motioned for her to come over to where she was on her bike.

Sam took the helmet and said, "you're gonna want to pull your hair up or at least pull it back behind your ears. I like mine up. It saves from the torture of brushing it out afterward."

After Faith pulled her hair up, Samantha gently place the helmet on Faiths head and fastened the strap. Something about the closeness sent a chill through Sam. She felt her heart pick up its pace.

Jeez, she is so beautiful... Come on Sam. Pull yourself together. She has a girlfriend...besides, you aren't attracted to women...right?

Then what is This?

Sam pulled herself out of her thoughts and started her bike again. She reached out a hand to Faith.  Faith took her hand and mounted the bike behind Sam.

"You're gonna want to hang on." Sam instructed.

Faith grabbed ahold of Samantha's jacket at the sides.  Sam took her hand and brought it around her torso.

"Like this..."

Faith wrapped her other hand around Samantha. Her heart began to speed up.  She couldn't tell if it was because she was nervous of the ride or because she was basically hugging this sweet and very attractive woman.

Sam pulled from the curb into the street.  As she accelerated, Faith tightened her grip and leaned into Sam for stability.  Pretty soon the streetlights disappeared behind them.

"Where are we going?" Faith yelled over the loud rumble of the motorcycle.

"You'll see. I just hope we get there in time."

They drove up into the hills and out of town.  Soon, Faith relaxed and began to breathe easier.  She lifted her head to look around on occassion.  The scenery was limited due to the pending dawn.  The cool crisp air of the early morning met her face.  Her senses seemed heightened.  She could feel the vibration of the motorcycle beneath her, the coolness of Sam's jacket against her hands, and the way her body molded to Sam's back.  These feelings were so intoxicating that she hadn't noticed they had stopped.

Sam turned the bike off and pointed to her right.

"Well, we're here and we aren't too late ... in fact ... just in time..."

"In time for what?" Faith began to say as she looked in the direction Sam was pointing.

It was then she saw what they were in time for.  To her right was a lake.  A few pine trees framed the lake in a dark blue ... dark enough to be mistaken for black.  Behind the lake were rolling hills still dark from the night which was fading away.  Just above the hills was a glowing yellow band that appeared to be peaking from behind the hills.  The yellow blended into a bright orange, which then painted  upon the sky and clouds a crimson red on a dark blue-grey background.  The lake reflected a shine of red that bled into a dark purple.  The lines of the soft waves rippled making the picture more textured to the eye.

Faith stepped off the bike and removed her helmet. Sam followed her to the edge of a grassy area.  Sam placed her helmet on the ground and used it as a seat. Faith followed suit and pulled her knees to her chest.

"It's beautiful Sam.  Thank you." Faith whispered.

"Uh hu.  I haven't been up here in a long time" Sam replied softly.

"Why come here now?"

"I don't know ... just wanted to show you something special I guess."

"Well, it is.  Thank you."

The two sat in silence listening to the waking of the day.  Birds began to sing. The trees swayed and leaves rustled in the breeze.

Faith looked at Samantha, "So, Sam? What's your story?"

"Umm, what do you mean?"

"Tell me about you...  Tell me about Samantha Rieley."

"Well, I'm 22, two siblings, parent's still married, love to run, enjoy romantic comedies and horror movies.  My first ever big purchase was my baby over there (pointing to her motorcycle). I love to read and write.  I enjoy cooking, but I don't like the cleaning. I'm on the Track team at school.  During the off-season I work at the 'Y' part time ... And I graduate this Spring..."

"What is your area of study?"

"Well, I will have a degree in Education, Health Sciences and Developmental Psychology."

"Well, at least noone will say you are all beauty and no brains." Faith said flashing a smile. "You'd be a perfect candidate for 'Miss America' or maybe 'Miss Over-achiever'."

"Hmmm.  Maybe ... I do like sunsets and sunrises, roses in bloom, and long walks on the beach." Sam replied in a giggle. 

Faith looked at her phone and saw 8 missed calls and over 10 texts.  She then sighed and said, "As much as I am loving the beautiful morning, I need to get back if that is ok?"

"Of course." Samantha replied while standing up to walk back to the bike.

"I'm sorry Sam. I ... it's ... Michelle.  She's my girlfriend.  She's been trying to text and call ... and now she's freaking out."

Sam placed her hand on Faith's shoulder, "It's fine Faith. I need to do some studying before class anyway."

The ride back seemed more comfortable.  However, there remained a tension. Not an uncomfortable kind, like being around someone you don't like and are forced to be with.  Not the kind that begged for conversation.  No.  It was that clammy hands, lump in your throat, nervous, sexual tension kind.  The kind you feel when you are attracted to someone and you feel like you are 8 years old with your first crush ... kind of tension.

They arrived back at Dana and Samantha's apartment. Faith stepped off the motorcycle and check her phone again.

"Shit! I'm sorry Sam.  I really need to go." Faith said while handing back the helmet.

Faith began to walk toward her car and Sam cleared her throat saying,  "Umm Faith. You might get home faster with keys."

"Oh for Pete's sake!  I'm such an idiot." Faith remarked walking back to Sam.

"I'll run in and get them. And by the way ... you're not an idiot. You're anxious, nervous and in a hurry.  It happens to me too.  Be right back."

Samantha emerged with the keys.  Faith held her hand out and Samantha placed them in the palm of her hand. 

"You know, we never did get to your story did we?" Sam asked keeping her hand on the keys in Faith's hand.

Faith smiled at Samantha and says, "Why no ... no we didn't.  Raincheck?"

"I'm going to hold you to that Faith Matthews." Sam said taking her hand away.

"I'm counting on that Samantha Rieley." Faith said flirtatiously as she turned and walked quickly to her car.

She got in, adjusted her seat, started the engine and pulled out of the parking spot.  She drove past where Samantha was standing giving a cute little wave before heading to her apartment.

Faith stopped the car, backed up to where Sam was standing, got out of the car and approached Samantha.  She wrapped her arms around Sam and gave her a quick hug.  She then gave a soft kiss on the cheek and whispered in Sam's ear, "Thank you for 'de-flowering' me the second time tonight ... well ... this morning ... you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm glad it was you! Bye Sam."

And just like that she was gone...

Sam stood there watching where Faith's car disappeared.  She placed her hand on her cheek where Faith had kissed her.  She could still feel it's warmth.  Her eyes sparkled, she smiled ... then it hit her...

Oh sweet Jesus! Dana was right. I DO like women. Holy shit! Seriously Sam? Get a grip! It's no big deal...right?  It's only a small part of who I am. Yes? Oh my God! My family! OK. OK.  Relax Sam. Just Breathe!