Chapter 38 - Exposed

Faith stood in front of the sink rinsing dishes before passing them to Samantha, who then loaded the dishwasher. Supper went better than expected. Small talk at the table included topics such as school, sports and a Q&A session with Faith about her business. Everyone appeared interactive and genuinely interested in the table conversation. Everyone that is... except Sabrina, who spent most of the meal quiet but for the assault her knife and fork made against her plate. The stabbing and scrapping became so intense that finally Stephen couldn't bare anymore of her non-verbal onslaught. "Oh my God Bri! What the hell did that cow ever do to you? I think it's dead already so chill out huh?"

Sabrina stabbed a piece of steak, shoved it in her mouth and while chewing shot daggers across the table at Stephen. Her hands, still holding her knife and fork, were positioned at the ready on either side of the plate. After swallowing, she smiled close-lipped as she batted her eyes at Stephen. "What? I'm just eating and keeping to myself."

Stephen shook his head then waved with a flick of his wrist. "Nothing Bri. You just keep on doing you. I just hope you don't break one of your precious nails during your tantrum over there."

Sabrina snapped her tongue against her mouth and grunted. "Whatever."

During the rest of the meal she sat pushing her peas back and forth on her plate.

"Hey babe? Can I ask you a question?" Faith inquired continuing at the sink.

"Yeah sure."

"Um. Why didn't you tell me that your dad was... um...

"Black?" Sam finished.

"Not that it matters, but a little heads up would have been nice."

"I'm sorry Faith. I guess I really didn't even think about it. I knew you would be okay with it so..."

"Of course I am. Plus it explains your beautiful skin tone and where you got those deep caramel eyes of yours." Faith replied and kissed Sam's cheek.

Later that evening, plans were made for the next few days. Attendance of Christmas Eve Service was expected and practically demanded by Mrs. Reiley. Sandra sat on her chair in the living room sipping her coffee. Everyone sat eating their desert. "I don't know if you have a certain faith or belief Miss Matthews, but here we attend church and we will all go to Christmas Eve Service."

Faith swallowed a bite of pie before answering. "Oh, of course Mrs. Reiley. In fact, Sam and I attend church back home. My mother named me Faith because God had an important place in her life."

"Had?" Sandra inquired. "Has that changed for her now, then?"

"Oh no ma'am. My mom passed away a couple years ago."

Sandra's demeanor softened. She sat back in her chair and let out a sigh. "I'm sorry to hear that dear."

Silence filled the room. You know... that awkward kind during conversation where inside each person's mind they are searching for something cleaver, or anything for that matter to say to break the tension hanging in the room. Samuel cleared his throat. "Well anyway, after service the kids usually go midnight sledding. Are you planning to do that again this year Stephen?"

Stephen choked down his bite of pie wide eyed in response to his father putting him on the spot. "Um. Yeah, if anyone wants to go, I'm up for it." He coughed out.

"Sounds like fun." Faith answered.

Dana chimed in. "Oh, it its! Then we come back here and have hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps..."

"Um... excuse me..." Sabrina interrupted. "Did I just hear you say that you and Sam go to church? How does a church tolerate... you know...?" she wave her hand gesturing back and forth from Sam to Faith.